What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to delete device templates

Votes:

I created several device templates to test, and don't need them anymore. Now I would like to delete them, but >I cannot find where i can delete them.

second part of the question : is it possible to change the created templates, of do I need to create a new one for each template change ?

thanks for your help

device prtg template

Created on Feb 18, 2011 9:23:48 AM

14 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

To remove device templates, you have to manually delete them in the \devicetemplates sub folder of your PRTG program directory.

Once they're created, device templates cannot be changed. The only way to change them would be editing the ODT files in a text editor (it's XML).

Please be aware that if you apply a new device template to an existing device, all sensors in the device template will be re-added to the device, including sensors that already exist on this device. This is because with every new device template, new (internal) IDs (not visible to the user) are defined for every sensor.

Created on Feb 18, 2011 10:45:54 AM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Votes:

Thanks for the answer Daniel. Ability to change devices templates shoould be a nice feature in the coming version.

Created on Feb 18, 2011 1:43:26 PM

Votes:

+1 for for the feature to edit the templates

Created on Mar 7, 2011 6:00:57 PM

Votes:

and for the abillity to load more a notification on more than one sensor per device using a template and autodiscovery

Created on Mar 8, 2011 7:50:57 AM

Votes:

Is this a feature yet? I can't find where to edit templates.

Created on Dec 11, 2014 3:46:36 PM

Votes:

Editing templates is only possible via tools like Sublime, Notepad++ and editing the XML-Files. In the interface of PRTG it's not yet possible, but on the wishlist.

Created on Dec 11, 2014 4:52:41 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

6 years later and this is still not possible?

Created on Jan 13, 2017 4:31:39 AM

Votes:

Thank you for the post, as you can see there haven't really been a whole lot of requests for this capability, so we've chosen to instead work on features that have more requests from more users, and which benefit more users than just a handful (compared to the installation base of over 150,000).

Created on Jan 13, 2017 4:49:35 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Add +4 from my team, it would be really great to be able to at least delete/rename templates from the GUI and not have to do it manually.

Created on Jul 5, 2017 7:23:28 PM

Votes:

Hi TeachBeard,

Thank you for your contribution. Unfortunately and as you can see above, you are the first vote since January. Anyway, your vote is counted but we did not receive enough feedback yet. Please bear with us.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Jul 6, 2017 4:47:56 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If I manually delete the template file from the device templates sub-folder, will it no longer appear in the GUI when adding new devices?

Created on Apr 5, 2018 4:43:09 AM

Votes:

Hi Davey,

That is correct, yes.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 5, 2018 9:08:07 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How would your hosted clients delete a device template since we can't get to that folder on the server side?

Created on Jun 21, 2018 3:42:38 PM

Votes:

Hey bnations,

in this case, please open a support request and let us know which templates should be deleted from your instance. Afterwards, we will connect to the server and delete the templates for you.

Best regards,
Sven

Created on Jun 22, 2018 4:47:46 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.