What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

tracking down excessive bandwidth usage

Votes:

Hi,

I have a content packet sniffer in place trying to track down excessive bandwidth usage going to my provider. I've set up an exclude filter of sourceip[10.0.0.1/8] and destinationip[10.0.0.1/8] so I don't get intra-lan ip traffic.

So far the two protocol classifications using the most bandwidth are the www and 'various' groups. How do I determine which URLs are in the www group and a breakdown of the protocols in the various classification? Would also like to see which IP addresses they're going to/coming from as well.

Thanks!

--Ben

bandwidth packet-sniffing protocol-classification

Created on Apr 22, 2011 1:11:27 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Dear Ben,

have you checked the TopLists of the Packet Sniffer Sensor yet?

Best regards.

Created on Apr 26, 2011 11:57:57 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I have; the results show high 'other' usage or high web traffic. Knowing what constitutes 'other' is a mystery for me. As well as determining within the web traffic, which intranet servers are generating it, and within those, which sites. I understand there is no site (ie domain) level tracking mechanism available.

How would I break down the other category?

Created on Apr 27, 2011 1:08:24 AM

Votes:

Where exactly do you see the "Other"-entry? In the sensor results? Or in the Toplists. Because that would be two different things. Other in Toplists means a summery beyond the limit of entries for a toplist: What does the 'other'-entry in my TopConnections/TopTalkers mean?
Whereas Other in the sensor results itself means traffic type(s) unknown to PRTG.

Created on Apr 27, 2011 9:46:01 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.