What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Need Guidance on wmi timeout settings

Votes:

Hi We have more than 1000 servers being monitored as groups under a root Probe Device. The main problem here is the wmi timeout due to which we receive more than 25% false alerts as "Connection Cannot be Established". The current Version of the PRTG is 7.1.1.3095 which I checked in official prtg release versions, I could not find this version in your list of releases any more. One of our admins had configured PRTG and left the organization long back. The Scanning Interval is set to 15 mins. I could not find the option for wmi timeout. And hence, with some research, I have opened configuration.dat file and observed that the value for wmi timeout is 5. I presume that 5 is here seconds but not minutes :) However, PRTG Official release says that the wmi count value should be 1.5x of scanning interval. Not sure.. what to do and how to move forward.

Believe it or not we are receiving more than 1000 mails nearly from PRTG which my Alert Monitoring team is working very hard and spending a lot of time in addressing these. Please take some time and suggest me for the needful to be done to resolve this issue.

I appreciate your time and kindly help. Thanks in Advance.

connection falsealarms scanning troubleshooting wmi wmitimeout

Created on Mar 12, 2010 4:32:49 PM

Last change on Mar 15, 2010 1:18:36 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Created on Mar 15, 2010 1:17:42 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.