What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I establish a secure web interface connection to PRTG?

Votes:

I would like to see the options I have using a secure connection to the PRTG web interface.

• What possibilities do I have to connect securely?
  • Can I disable SSL and use an insecure connection?
  • What about the browser certificate warning?

browser certificate encryption https prtg secure ssl web-interface

Created on Feb 2, 2010 3:03:17 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on May 16, 2019 6:02:09 AM by  Florian Weik (1,927) 2 2

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

Secure PRTG web interface connection

PRTG comes with a default SSL certificate. It allows you to securely use the PRTG web interface via HTTPS. The connection is encrypted and no unauthorized person is able to see your data.

However, since the default certificate does not match the domain name or IP address of your PRTG installation, your web browser will always show an alert The certificate is not correct when it connects to this server. This is despite the fact that transmission is secure.

Overview: PRTG web interface security options

Under Setup | System Administration | User Interface on the PRTG core server system, you can select different security options that specify how users connect to the PRTG web interface. The following table will give you an overview of the user's experience for the different options.

OptionSecurityUser experienceSteps to take
Disable SSLNone (passwords and account information are not encrypted. Use only in secure LANs/VPNs. Do not use for PRTG installations that are publicly visible on the internet.)User sees no warningUnder PRTG Web Server, set TCP Port for PRTG Web Server to Unsecure HTTP server (port 80)
PRTG default SSL certificateYes (unverified)User sees a certificate warningUnder PRTG Web Server, set TCP Port for PRTG Web Server to Secure HTTPS server (port 443)
InstantSSL Free Trial certificate (90 days) - paid option for longer use availableYes (Class 1)User sees no warning - Specialty: The certificate can even be requested for a private IP address so the user sees no warning when using a private IP address to access the PRTG web interfaceUnder PRTG Web Server, set TCP Port for PRTG Web Server to Secure HTTPS server and install an InstantSSL Free Trial certificate
Paid extended options (for example, InstantSSL, GoDaddy)Yes, extended (up to Class 3)User sees a lock symbol in the address bar and the site appears in the browser as “secure”Under PRTG Web Server, set TCP Port for PRTG Web Server to Secure HTTPS server and install a paid certificate

More

Created on Feb 2, 2010 3:03:42 PM by  Daniel Zobel [Product Manager]

Last change on Jan 4, 2023 9:43:38 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Set up your own Certification Authority

If you only access your PRTG server from within your own domain, you can create your own free trusted certificate, by setting up your own Certification Authority (CA).

This CA can handout certificates that will be trusted within your own network. You have to make sure that your users can contact and trust the CA.

See this Microsoft article on how to install your own CA http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc756120(WS.10).aspx

Created on Feb 11, 2010 7:07:22 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.