What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Update without reboot

Votes:

Dear Paessler

I think it's about time that Paessler did a rework to the install engine, so updates to the production machinery will be able to carry out without rebooting.

As I see it - it's just a matter of service stop - overwrite code - service start.

Why do we have to reboot and enforce downtime to the production system?

Please - priorityse this, or make the update schedulable so it can be done in service window at night we everybody (including myself) is at sleep.

Kind regards, Lars

autoupdate reboot schedule

Created on Jun 13, 2012 5:46:08 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Normally PRTG can update without a reboot. The services are stopped, the new version installed and started.

But in some cases files are locked and can not be updated. A reboot is then required to prevent a PRTG with modules and DLLs in different versions.

On most machines this happens rarely (or even never) but we have seen systems where some file is stuck in some kind of "locked" state requiring a reboot every time.

In this case a "unlocker" application or manually deleting the file before installation can help to fix the problem.

You can see what file causes the problem by checking the installation log of the installer. This is either located in the application folder (manual install) or PRTG Data folder (auto install).

With the new auto update system you can select a automatic install at a specific time but finding the problematic file is a better solution.

Created on Jun 14, 2012 2:29:28 PM by  Jens Rupp [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.