What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Restore Map

Votes:

Hello,

Is it possible to restore a map that has been accidentally deleted ?

I have a full backup of my PRTG server.

Thanks !

delete maps restore

Created on Dec 14, 2012 10:47:57 AM

12 Replies

Votes:

Hi,
you will have to restore one of the automated configuration backups from a time before the map was deleted. Then it will show up again.
Best regards

Created on Dec 14, 2012 1:06:51 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Is any other way to restore deleted map since this post? So we have the same occasion. Restore configuration with a 10000+ sensors is a big risk for us.

Created on Jul 30, 2019 6:30:05 AM

Votes:

Hey Vasily,

since the maps are stored in the configurations file, unfortunately only the mentioned restore of a configurations backup helps to bring the map back.

Best Regards,
Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Created on Jul 30, 2019 6:36:25 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thank you Sven! Same story with Sensors? With Reports?

Created on Jul 31, 2019 1:26:04 PM

Votes:

Hey Vasily,

yes, the restore of accidentally deleted sensors/groups/libraries/etc. works the very same way.

Best Regards,

Created on Aug 1, 2019 5:05:35 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Ok! If we return to configuration backup, by default it scheduled once a day, can we make more often backup? How much resources PRTG takes to make this backup? Can you provide a link to article about this part?

Thank you!

Created on Aug 1, 2019 10:00:59 AM

Votes:

Hey Vasily,

>>can we make more often backup?
You can manually trigger a backup of your configuration under Setup >> System Administration >> Administrative Tools >> Create Configuration Snapshot or via the following API call:

<your Core Server>/api/savenow.htm?username=<admin username>&passhash=<admin passhash>

>>How much resources PRTG takes to make this backup?
This is hard to answer as it very much depends on the available hardware resources and the actual size of your PRTG instance.

>>Can you provide a link to article about this part?
Please refer to our backup and restore guides.

Best Regards,

Created on Aug 1, 2019 11:06:30 AM by  Sven Roggenhofer [Paessler Technical Support]

Votes:

Thank you very much Sven!

But can you clarify, if we restore night configuration at same day evening, we can lost all changes for past time? Newly created sensors will be deleted and PRTG will restore configuration as it was at night?

Created on Aug 6, 2019 2:04:44 PM

Votes:

That's correct, yes. Just out of curiosity, since I'm observing this rather often today - did you encounter any errorrs while posting?

Created on Aug 6, 2019 2:06:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Yes, i'm posted this text several times and every time i saw an error message. To be exact: "Internal Server Error". Just black text on white background, nothing more.

Created on Aug 6, 2019 2:24:25 PM

Votes:

Thanks for the update, seemingly the backend has some issues. We'll take care of that :)

Created on Aug 6, 2019 2:41:58 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi All,

I have found a slightly better solution for the following problem if you dont want to completely backup from the backup file I can confirm it is possible to find the XML object for your map that got deleted within your backup config file once located Stop Core Server and Stop Probe Service then modify the current PRTG Configuration.dat by copying the complete map object from the backup file in with the list of other existing maps. then start your Core Service and Probe Service and your map will be back :D

EXA: <nodes> <map id="2484"> </nodes>

Created on Dec 4, 2019 11:59:04 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.