What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Add CBQOS be to Cisco device template

Votes:

I would like to start monitoring Class Based QoS queues on our Cisco routers. I would like Paessler to automatically add the CBQOS mibs into the Cisco Router template so that these queues are automatically discovered and monitored when adding a new device. Adding a custom sensor would not be as elegant of a solution as we would have to add four custom sensors to each router to match the queues. Then these sensors would not be combined onto a single graph where it would be more meaningful.

CBQoS monitoring is a feature in competitors' products. We are not interested in deploying a second monitoring solution to cover inadequacies in our chosen platform.

cbqos prtg snmp

Created on Apr 25, 2013 3:29:59 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

We are looking into this. We should be able to provide an update soon.

Created on Apr 29, 2013 2:03:11 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

We've decided to implement this as a new sensor type "SNMP CBQOS". As of now, we're doing research and can not tell you, when we will start developing this sensor, but we're confident, that it will be released in the second half of 2013.

Created on May 2, 2013 1:52:21 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Thank-you. I am sure others who are doing extensive monitoring of network infrastructure will find this feature to be very useful. Let me know if I can be of any help. Me and my colleagues understand the cbQos mib and our monitoring requirements well enough that we may be of help if you are having trouble.

I opened a support case regarding trouble using Paessler Mib importer to build a custom oidlibrary for the cbQos mib. For some reason, the mib importer discards the Stats oid's and only imports the Cfg elements which is useless for a monitoring application. Since Paessler will be implementing cbQos into the standard device template, then I do not need this ticket actioned.

Specifically we will need is the oid's under cbQosClassMapStats (1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.166.1.15) to be monitored. The OIDs under cbQosClassMapCfg are useless since these are only configuration elements, such as names and descriptions. Stats is what will provide packet and bit counters.

Ideally, when the cbQos sensor is added to a router, PRTG will display all available class-maps configured in policies (eg Queues). Then the user can select the classes to be monitored similar to how interfaces are displayed when adding snmp traffic sensors. I would like to see bits/sec displayed in the graph. I would like to be able to stack the sensors so that total value corresponds to aggregate throughput on the interface.

Again... thank-you for responding to the real-world needs of your customers.

Created on May 2, 2013 10:05:13 PM

Votes:

You are welcome. We're happy if we can help you. As you are offering your help, it would be great for us, if you would download our snmp tester v5 beta11 and do an snmp walk with the base oid "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.166". Then please send the output to [email protected] and please mention this article, so we understand what it means.

Having a real config, would help us understanding, how it works.

Created on May 3, 2013 10:14:37 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on May 3, 2013 10:51:24 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

Want to publish templates asap.

Created on May 23, 2013 8:37:10 AM

Votes:

Is there any way that the snmp oidlib can be provided separate from the updated release of PRTG? I would like to simply add the new oidlib to my current PRTG installation and add then add a custom snmp sensor for cbQos for a few routers. If all that works, then I can upgrade the PRTG release once cbQoS is available in the release and add cbQos sensors to all my relevant routers. Or is it not that simple?

Created on May 23, 2013 8:57:34 PM

Votes:

You could install the latest release on a separate machine and retrieve the OIDLIB, then place the same into the \snmplibs sub-directory of the program directory.

Created on May 24, 2013 2:11:21 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

We've just added a brand new Sensor called "SNMP Cisco CBQoS" to PRTG. It will be part of our Canary release, that will be available by tomorrow(The build and upload should be finished by 5am GMT+2 on the May 28th 2013)

It would be really helpful, if you could provide some feedback. To do so, we recommend not to update your production system, but to install a PRTG trial version on any other system and update it to the latest canary version. You can find a description how to change the release channel here.

At the moment, we only support "Class Map", "Match Statement" and "Queueing". Support for other classes is planned, but we can't make any promises regarding the time those will be added. The next classes that are planned to be added, are "Traffic Shaping", "Random Detect", "Police" and "Packet Marking".

Created on May 27, 2013 5:03:59 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on May 27, 2013 5:10:17 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

@Ceridian Canada: CBQoS will not be added as an oidlib, but as an own sensor type. That is the reason, why you will have to update your installation to a version that will be 13.x.5.2189 or later.

Created on May 27, 2013 5:15:50 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

I have upgraded our installation to release 13.2.5.2222 [Canary]. When I add new Cisco CBQos sensors from the library, the sensors do not collect any data. The sensors are added to the device but never show any data. I have added all sensors but none of them ever show any data. I have added CBQos sensors to three different routers (3 different models & IOS versions) and get the same result.

Created on Jun 10, 2013 6:15:37 PM

Votes:

Did you already send your SNMP Walk results to us, as we asked you in an earlier post in this thread?

Quote:

You are welcome. We're happy if we can help you. As you are
offering your help, it would be great for us, if you would
download our snmp tester v5 beta11 and do an snmp walk with the
base oid "1.3.6.1.4.1.9.9.166". Then please send the output to
[email protected] and please mention this article, so we
understand what it means.
Having a real config, would help us understanding, how it works.

Please also attach a screenshot of the settings and the overview tab of the sensor, to make it easier for us to reproduce the issue.

Created on Jun 11, 2013 9:50:59 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Jun 11, 2013 9:51:37 AM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.