What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Device template missing custom SNMP sensor

Votes:

I created a device template that has a bunch of custom SNMP sensors. These custom sensors were added using their OIDs and although are valid are showing up with a value of Down. When I add a new device using this template I do not see any of the custom sensors that are down. Only those custom sensors that are up are being auto discovered.

How do I fix this?

TIA.

auto-discovery device-template snmp-custom-sensor

Created on Apr 30, 2013 3:19:54 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

During auto-discovery all the sensors in the device template are checked. If there is no answer from a sensor, it cannot be discovered (as there is no answer).

Created on May 1, 2013 5:38:23 AM by  Waltraud Bestelmeyer (110) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks for the response. So does this mean the sensors that cannot be discovered are not included in the new device definition or are included but not listed?

Created on May 2, 2013 2:21:26 AM

Votes:

Within auto discovery only sensors which come back with an answer, are created. But in the device template these sensors exist.

So you can run a scheduled autodiscovery at a dedicated hour and check whether more sensors were added as they were up then

You also may clone the respective sensors from the device where they exist to your new device or you even clone the complete device from where you got your device template - in the later case you will have all these sensors and they will be checked and show the actual status.

Created on May 2, 2013 9:06:13 AM by  Waltraud Bestelmeyer (110) 2 1

Votes:

Thanks. Cloning works better for this scenario.

Created on May 2, 2013 4:45:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.