What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How does the SQL Sensor negociate the port when set to automatic?

Votes:

My sensor gets a timeout error I believe because its not able to automatically determine the port and I am trying to troubleshoot why.

port prtg12 sqlsensor

Created on May 28, 2013 7:24:57 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

If no port is specified, the sensor will try to connect to the default port of the server. For Microsoft SQL Server this would be 1433.

Created on May 29, 2013 6:22:21 PM by  Patrick Hutter [Paessler Support] (7,225) 3 3

Votes:

Its set to automatic. Presently my SQL server is using port 4113. On my primary PRTG server it negotiates fine but on the failover PRTG server I get a timeout. If I maually set the port to 4113 it connects so I am trying to determine what is stopping the failover PRTG server from negotiating the port.

Created on May 29, 2013 6:34:35 PM

Votes:

A little more detail on my question. I have a primary and failover PRTG servers. Each server resides in its own site. The SQL server resides in the site with the primary PRTG server. When the SQL sensor is set to automatic it resolves the port and connects from the primary but the failover receives a timeout. When I manually set the port for the SQL instance then both primary and failover are successful. I think something between the 2 subnets is stopping the failover server from auto negotiating the port for the SQL instance but in order to troubleshoot further I need to understand how that negotiation occurs. Thanks

Created on May 30, 2013 3:09:22 PM

Votes:

When the Port Setting is set to automatic the MS SQL Sensor uses the Microsoft SQL Servers default port (1433). Otherwise it uses the port specified by the user. Technically there is no difference between the two connection methods.

Created on Jun 3, 2013 10:31:55 AM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.