What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Why does my Powershell Sensor show "The client cannot connect to the destination [...]"

Votes:

After updating to PRTG 13.3.6.x my Powershell Sensor stopped working. It now shows the error message

Connecting to remote server failed with the following
error message : The client cannot connect to the
destination specified in the request. Verify that the
service on the destination is running and is accepting
requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the
WS-Management service running on the destination,
most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the
WinRM service, run the following command on the
destination to analyze and configure the WinRM
service: "winrm quickconfig". For more information, see
the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.

I tried to add the sensor again, but everytime I try to add a new powershell based sensor the same error message shows up.

port powershell prtg winrm

Created on Sep 2, 2013 3:06:25 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Sep 2, 2013 3:48:40 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

We changed the port from 80 which is only available if the IIS is installed on the target system to port 5985. This is the default port for Windows Remote Management. Sometimes the WinRM does not provide the default port. We're still working on a solution for that. In the meantime, we recommend to use the command

winrm e winrm/config/listener

on the targetsystem to determine which ports it listens to.

You can find an article that describes how to change the port here.

Created on Sep 2, 2013 3:07:27 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Sep 2, 2013 3:51:07 PM by  Gerald Schoch [Paessler Support]

Votes:

If you are running an earlier version of PRTG and encounter this issue please note that we originally used the port 80. Updateing PRTG to the latest stable version supposedly solves your problem.

Created on Sep 2, 2013 4:02:05 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Last change on Sep 2, 2013 4:02:17 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Votes:

I have just installed PRTG and we get this error for one of our domain controllers. The winrm command to find out which port the server is listening for does not yield anything.

Is there another fix for the current release of PRTG for this issue?

Created on Jun 22, 2017 6:40:43 PM

Votes:

Dear egarneau

Which PRTG version are you currently using?

Created on Jun 23, 2017 12:48:34 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Strange behavior i have at my PRTG, i install "Windows Update Status" sensor at many servers (100) with minimal interval for the sensor (1 hour). First request get information correct, but next request get an error like topic starter, what can goes wrong?

Created on Aug 2, 2018 10:52:37 AM

Votes:

Dear Vasiliy,

the first thing to try would be to increase the scanning interval. Do you then still get the error message? If yes, which PRTG version are you using?

Created on Aug 2, 2018 3:39:59 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I increase scanning interval for this sensors to 12 hour, but result are the same, i use PRTG ver. 18.3.42.1748+

Created on Aug 7, 2018 7:58:19 AM

Votes:

Dear Vasiliy,

thank you. In this case please open the sensor settings and enable "Write sensor results to disk". After the next scan, the files are available in "C:\ProgramData\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Logs (Sensors)"

Please contact us at [email protected], describe the issue and attach those logs as file attachment. We can than continue from there.

Created on Aug 7, 2018 5:23:49 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.