What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor Fails

Votes:

I am attempted to monitor a Windows 2012 R2 Hyper-V server. I have it successfully monitoring the physical server itself (CPU, Disk, Network) as well as the Hyper-V Host Sensor.

However, whenever I attempt to add a sensor for a Hyper-V Virtual Machine, it returns to following error: 80041010: The specified class is not valid.

Any idea on why this error would occur?

hyper-v virtual-servers windows-2012-r2

Created on Nov 8, 2013 3:44:06 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. May I ask, which exact version of PRTG are you using? Just to check, you are trying to add the " Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor" to the device that is the Hyper-V-Host in PRTG?

best regards.

Created on Nov 11, 2013 12:56:09 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We are running the latest stable release of PRTG. 13.4.6.3375

That is correct we are trying to add the "Hyper-V Virtual Machine Sensor" that is a Hyper-V Host. The Hyper-V host is running Windows 2012 R2.

I am wonder if the WMI changes within Windows 2012 R2 is what is causing the issue. Namespace for version 1.0 of WMI; WMIC (in WMI) was removed.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn303411.aspx

Created on Nov 11, 2013 3:16:09 PM

Votes:

THanks for this find. Yes, PRTG does use this namespace. We will investigate and fix this, but I cannot name an ETA for the fix (and so support for Hyper V on 2012 R2) yet. Please bear with us.

Created on Nov 12, 2013 3:36:37 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Are there any news to this topic? We urgently need this feature.

Created on Feb 12, 2014 11:40:38 AM

Votes:

We've already enhanced the logic, so PRTG can support Hyper-V on Windows Server 2012R2. This "enhancement" will be part of our 14.x.9 release.

Created on Feb 12, 2014 12:34:46 PM by  Johannes Herrmann [Paessler Support] (1,360) 2 2

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.