What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Using parameters for any sensor type, and for ADO/SQL particulary

Votes:

Hello!

Is it possible to set up parameters for sensor? For example, sensor means control of documents queue, and must to notificate subscribers if there are documents which received older than N hours. But using hardcoded value is not so good. Workaround to store parameter value in external source, like DB or file also weak decision. It will be good to associate parameter with sensor and keep it value in PRTG context. is it possible?

Thanks for your product, really cool!

parameters sensor value

Created on Mar 25, 2014 8:49:52 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your support ticket. This should be the purpose of sensor settings and channel settings to define when a sensor (for example) goes into error state, because a value is too high on the sensor, etc..

best regards.

Created on Mar 26, 2014 3:31:14 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello!

I means not a value for changing state. Look, I have a simply sensor for documents queue length (sensor value), and length below 5 is normal, but over - critical. But also I have a parameter in sensor - documents older than N hours, and it will be good to keep this value in sensor or channel definition, know what I mean? Checked value (length below 5) and value calculation logic parameter (N hours). Is it possible?

Created on Apr 21, 2014 12:01:03 PM

Votes:

As mentioned, you can use the Warning- / Error-Limits to create such a behavior of the sensor (to go into error state, if the queue length is above 5), but it's not possible to combine several conditions (with a logical AND / OR) in the sensor directly. You can do this though, in a Sensor Factory Sensor.

Created on Apr 21, 2014 12:44:03 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.