What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Do closed tickets re-appear?

Votes:

Hello Paessler,

I just added the notification for some Access Points, however, it confused me a bit. When I close a ticket, does it re-appear?

I changed the notification from "Error sensor state for x seconds" for "if this condition repeats" and I deleted the previously generated tickets.

My question is, will the system wait for 3 days to see if the condition repeats and then re-open the tickets? How often does a system re-open the tickets.

Thank you.

notification-with-tickets prtg-tickets re-open-tickets tickets

Created on Jun 4, 2014 8:56:17 PM

11 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

thank you very much for your KB-Post. Closed Tickets won't be opened. The Escalation (and repeat) will open new ticket(s). Just as it would send new emails.

best regards.

Created on Jun 6, 2014 12:27:27 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you very much for your answer.

And If I delete a notification and then re-create it, will the tickets be re-opened? How the escalation should be configured to re-open new tickets?

My situation is the following:

1. My devices only have ping sensor. 2. I would like to know which of these devices are down for 3 days 3. If any of them are down for 3 days, raise a ticket 4. I resolve the ticket and close it, when the device goes out of this state. 5. Once the device enters into 3 days unreachable state, raise a new ticket.

Is this possible?

Created on Jun 6, 2014 1:39:08 PM

Votes:

If you want to set up PRTG to create new tickets after three days, you can set up a state trigger to create a ticket after 259200 seconds and then set it up to create another when the condition continues for another 259200 seconds.

If you delete a notification trigger and add it anew, the trigger will be reset and will send trigger again if the condition is met.

Created on Jun 11, 2014 10:49:34 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greg, thank you

I have a couple of other questions:

Regarding "State trigger of 259200 seconds + condition continues for another 259200 seconds" Will it create duplicated tickets?

I need the system to stop generating tickets for the same device if there is already one and reactivate the trigger waiting for another 3 days, once I close or resolve the ticket.

It does not make sense to set "condition continues", because I want my tickets to be opened for maybe a week or more, until I decide to resolve them and this solution offers and this rule will only check the condition twice (first one after 259200 seconds and another one after 259200 more, and thats the end)

It would be logical for the system to stop considering the trigger if there is already a ticket as a result of this trigger and then reactivate the trigger, once the ticket is closed or resolved, since the problem can re-occur and the system should be able to notify an administrator.

Do I understand it correctly?

Created on Jun 11, 2014 2:16:19 PM

Votes:

I just did a test and it did not work,

I have a sensor in Fail state since 2 months already..

I created a Trigger:

1. Once it goes into a Fail state, raise a ticket after 30 seconds 2. Escalate after 30 seconds more and raise a ticket and repeat every 1 minute.

Only 1 ticket was raised during 10 minutes and once I resolved it, it never re-appeared..

Seems like it should have reappeared.

I am using PRTG Network Monitor 14.2.9.1799 x64, I will try to upgrade now...

Created on Jun 11, 2014 4:11:48 PM

Votes:

I just upgraded to the latest version of PRTG and still the same. Even when it is set for Escalation with repeat it does not raise new tickets after the timeout or when the old tickets are resolved

Created on Jun 11, 2014 4:52:25 PM

Votes:

I just tried this out as well and if you set it up this way, the ticket while it is open will be updated if you have the trigger being triggered multiple times and if you CLOSE the ticket, it will be regenerated. This is the closest solution you will be able to find for your case unfortunately.

Created on Jun 12, 2014 11:36:56 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

So, when it is Resolved it is not re-openes as compared to Closed, is that what you mean?

Created on Jun 12, 2014 1:33:12 PM

Votes:

That's correct, resolving the ticket will not allow that same failure to open another ticket since PRTG thinks the issue is resolved but if you close the ticket, if the failure continues and you have the trigger set up correctly, PRTG will create a new ticket.

Created on Jun 13, 2014 11:05:25 AM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Greg, how are you?

I deleted and re-created the notification, however, the new tickets are not created..

(17/06 the tickets for some of my devices were marked as "resolved", do not know if this influences)

This is my set up If the sensor fails for at least 259200 sec, activate Ticket Notification

If the condition continues for 259200 segundos, activate Ticket Notification and repeat for every 1440 minutos

I have set up this last Thursday or Friday and today Monday there are still no new tickets..

I have applied the notification for the whole group and confirmed that the devices have taken the changes..

Could you please tell me, what could be happening?

*I have deleted the notification and immediatelly added a new one, maybe I should have waited or pause the devices, or something like that, dont know...

Thank you!

Created on Jun 23, 2014 6:54:46 PM

Votes:

If you have a sensor that is in an error status and you have a trigger to create a ticket when it goes down, when the sensor goes down, a ticket will be created.

If you have the trigger repeat this Ticket Notification it will not create a new ticket, it will only edit the existing ticket and send you an email notification that the ticket was edited.

If you delete the notification and create a new notification on that down sensor, PRTG will create a new ticket whether you resolved or closed the previous ticket.

Created on Jun 25, 2014 12:19:49 PM by  Greg Campion [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.