What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Notifications Escalation process seems to be eating all RAM??

Votes:

Hello Paessler,

I have a consultation,

Lately my PRTG (I have around 1000 devices and 8200 sensors in total) suddenly starts consuming almost all the RAM (I have a VM with 8 GB of RAM and PRTG consumes more than 6GB, which leads to a total of 89% and more on my Windows 2008 R2, while CPU keeps at 12%)

The last things I have done, is that I applied Notifications to one of my groups, which contains 450 Access-points (with 1 Ping sensor each) The notification is: When the ping stays in Fail state for at least 3 days, raise a ticket If it keeps in Fail state for another 3 days, raise another ticket with Repeat every 3 hours.

Before it was set to 1 day, but I needed my ticket list to be updated more quickly, since if the device comes up, the ticket is resolved and I do not have to wait 24 hours. I changed it to 1 hour and it began to hang, 90% of RAM and no web access. Then I modified it and set it to 3 hours, after 3 days it started happening (after 3 days it regenerated the tickets, since I closed them)

My question is, what is the optimal Escalation Repeat time, so my PRTG stays stable?

Thank you!!

notifications prtg-hangs ram repeat-escalation trigger-consumed-much-ram

Created on Jul 4, 2014 9:16:16 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

I can assure you the Escalation on Triggers / Notification does not consume more RAM, or consume RAM in another way, than a normal notification, because internally it's a normal Trigger as well.
Please make sure to have the resources guaranteed for the PRTG VM. Please be aware that we actually do consider a physical dedicated machine mandatory for this number of sensors, and thus, our advice would be to move this PRTG to a bare metal box.

best regards.

Created on Jul 8, 2014 11:42:00 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.