What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Netflow Display

Votes:

Hey guys

I am currently doing an evaluation between prtg and solar winds and one thing Im comparing is Netflow and how each handles the data.

For one thing, I find that PRTG's way of allowing 15 minute intervals to build up and then clearing the info and staring again is a bit annoying. If i catch it at a wrong time, i have to wait a few minutes for the data to build up again and display. Is there a way to make it a 15 minute sliding window instead of getting cleared and rebuilt every 15 minutes like solar winds does?

multi-netflow-sensors netflow netflow-sensor

Created on Jul 21, 2014 1:08:31 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

if you set the Toplist to be updated according to scanning interval of the sensor it should be more of the "sliding 15 minute" behavior. But that actually should be the default setting, is this set on your PRTG like that? http://abload.de/img/toplistqgjcb.png

best regards.

Created on Jul 22, 2014 12:54:36 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 22, 2014 12:54:48 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi!

This is the part I was talking about (to the right of Period (minutes))

Toplists always cover a specified period of time (e.g. 15 minutes). Afterwards the toplist is stored on disk and a new toplist is started from scratch.

The "from scratch" part wipes the data in all the top lists and starts from zero instead of being more of a sliding window like solar winds does.

Created on Jul 22, 2014 1:26:49 PM

Votes:

I see. Sorry, it took me a bit to understand the point. While I'm afraid it's not possible in the moment, I will put this on the wish list of course! It's a very nice idea! Please bear with us.

Created on Jul 23, 2014 7:51:46 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for the reply! Ill check back in a couple of months to see where this is. Frankly, this is the only real difference between you and solar winds when it comes to netflow.

Created on Jul 23, 2014 8:55:51 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.