What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Printed Page Difference sensor

Votes:

The Printed Page Difference sensor, shows a print speed (pages per second) and a Print page volume.

In the chart you can only select the pages per second for trending on a graph.. which is pretty much useless. I need to be able to view it by Print Page Volume..... We have it set for a duration of 24hours, so we can see how many pages are printed per day, we're looking for changes from the norm.

I need to able to see it by volume not speed.

Anyway to do that?

Gerry

graph printer snmp

Created on Dec 26, 2014 9:55:24 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

I'm very much afraid this is a tricky one. "Pages per day" is a speed-value as well, not a volume" (that would be just pages). It's not possible to graph the volume-'channel' as a line. The volume is already graphed it is the area under the speed line (in a mathematical sense).
Technically, you could use the "Multiplication"-Field on the sensor to calculate a pages per day value (on the speed - channel, which will still display /sec though). To get an idea of the pages per day, that in combination with a longer scanning interval will give an idea of the pages per day.

best regards

Created on Dec 29, 2014 2:56:47 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, while that kind of accomplishes part of what I need, it really screws up the display of 'volume' or rather count of pages printed during the interval.

I'm really not sure how many people a 'pages/sec' display as much value.... as it really does not indicate how fast the printer is printing unless that printer is running full load continually, in all other cases that number is meaningless. The Number of pages printed during the interval does have some value. The number is already listed in the table view.

As a paying customer, I request that the Pages Printed Difference sensor be converted such that changing the scanning interval to also effects the "Print Speed (Speed)" units - so if I set the scanning to 1 day (24Hours), the it is scaled by Pages / Day rather than Pages / Second then I would be a happy camper!

Or add the ability to graph the "Print Speed (Volume)" value be added in an update soon, as well as to be able to add limits (notifications) based on the "Print Speed (Volume)" value - either in addition to the "Print Speed (Speed)" or instead of the "Print Speed (Speed)" value.

Gerry Lockhart

Created on Dec 29, 2014 3:31:46 PM

Votes:

Gerry, please bear in mind that you can see larger volumes (over an hour or day) on the historic graphs on the sensor, or on reports. This will show a trending as well, as also the higher averaging on the speed channel on those historic data graphs.

Created on Dec 29, 2014 3:35:24 PM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.