What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

JMX Mini Probe - Custom Mbean monitoring

Votes:

Hi,

I have installed the JMX Mini Probe and I am now trying to add a custom MBean sensor. I managed to monitor simple Mbeans like the following:

Mbean: java.lang:type=Threading Attribute Object Name: ThreadCount

But now I want to monitor MBeans which have more layers, like the following:

java.lang:type=MemoryPool,name="PS Perm Gen" -A Usage -K used -I Usage -J used

The Attribute is 'Usage', but what is the syntax for the Mbean and name in this case ?

A second question, a specific attribute can have multiple channels (like Thanks Grtz, Tom

java jmx mini-probe

Created on Feb 20, 2015 11:59:03 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

In the meantime, I figured out that the problem was not with the Mbean name java.lang:type=MemoryPool,name="PS Perm Gen" which works correctly, but with the fact that the attribute was not a normal count value.

Instead, tomcat uses multiple keys under the attribut. In JMX, you have to use the -K parameter to specify the key you want to read under the selected attribute.

As far as I can see, this -K parameter is not implemented in the current release of the mini probe.

Full JMX command line to get back what I want:

java.lang:type=MemoryPool,name="PS Perm Gen" -A Usage -K used -I Usage -J used

I think I'll have to wait for a new version which implements this functionality.

Tom

Created on Feb 23, 2015 9:55:08 AM

Votes:

That is not supported at this time, you are correct. It has been added to the TODO list, though.

Created on Mar 2, 2015 6:51:15 AM by  Matt Barringer [Paessler Support] (460) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.