What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How can I share my self-written PRTG script/program with other PRTG users?

Votes:

I wrote my own script or program and created a new custom sensor, new custom notifications, or a new website styling for PRTG. I would like to share my code with other PRTG users.

How can I do this?

custom-script-exe custom-sensor knowledge-base prtg prtg-script-world script script-world

Created on Mar 23, 2015 8:51:09 AM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 11, 2019 10:58:53 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

This article applies as of PRTG 22

PRTG Sensor Hub

We collect free useful scripts, plugins, and add-ons for PRTG in the PRTG Sensor Hub. There, you can find many scripts from dedicated PRTG customers around the world and from the Paessler team. If you have written your own custom sensor, notification, or any other custom code for PRTG, you are welcome to share it on PRTG Sensor Hub:

1. Open PRTG Sensor Hub in your browser.
  2. Click Submit your script.
  3. Provide your name, email address (required), and information about your script in the submit form.
    • You need to provide a link to your project where you host your code. We recommend that you use GitHub, ideally with an open source license.
    • Do not forget to provide a short description about what the purpose of your script is and how it works. Also make sure that your script is documented on GitHub (or on the platform where you host it).
  4. Click Submit to share your script with us. Our technical support team will check your script and add it to the PRTG Sensor Hub.

Alternatively, you can still publish your custom code in our Knowledge Base. See the guide below.

How to publish a script for PRTG in the Paessler Knowledge Base

To share your script or program with other PRTG users, just create an article in the Paessler Knowledge Base. Our Knowledge Base is the place where PRTG users and the Paessler team meet and share their knowledge.

In short, these are the steps to take:

1. Create a Paessler Knowledge Base account.
  2. Create a Paessler Knowledge Base article.

1. Create an account for the Paessler Knowledge Base

If you already have a Paessler Knowledge Base account, skip step 1 and start directly with step 2. If you do not have an account yet, register here.

2. Create an article in the Paessler Knowledge Base

A Paessler Knowledge Base article is comprised of two parts: a question and an answer. This structure helps other users to better understand the subject.

Start with "Ask question"

Imagine somebody would like to know how to do exactly the thing you can provide the answer for.

• You created a new sensor or Mini Probe? Ask a question like How can I monitor [my custom feature] in PRTG?
  • You created a script or program for custom notifications? Ask a question like How can PRTG notify me [in my custom way]?
  • You created a script for a new PRTG web interface styling? Ask a question like How can I make PRTG display data [in my custom website style]?

Give a short context where your script or program fits in. Do not forget to set some tags. With these keywords, other users can find your article more easily.

Continue with "Add reply"

Write about

• what your script or program does,
  • what users have to do to get your program running if there are specific requirements,
  • if and why users should be careful with something regarding your script or program.

Provide your script or program source code in the code snippet format using 3 left curly brackets before your code and 3 right curly brackets after your code.

The code snippet format looks like this.

The article preview instantly shows you the changes you have made.

Note: Understand that you cannot upload executable binaries on our websites for security reasons. If you upload a binary or script file to a third-party website (for example, GitHub), we recommend that you create a Knowledge Base article where you describe your contribution and link to it. Nevertheless, put a copy of your source code in your article, if possible. This way, you make sure that all users can find it in the Paessler Knowledge Base.

Note: Every article must be approved by a member of the Paessler team. So do not worry if your article is not immediately published. As always, we will take care of your concerns as quickly as possible.

More

Created on Mar 23, 2015 10:06:51 AM by  Martina Wittmann [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 29, 2022 10:41:35 AM by  Brandy Greger [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.