What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

RMON - No ports available

Votes:

When adding the SNMP RMON sensor to a switch I always get "No Ports available" in the "RMON specific" section. I checked the switch config and all ports have an active RMON probe, is there anything else that needs to be done or some other way to test and find the cause?

prtg rmon snmp

Created on Apr 9, 2015 12:24:36 PM

6 Replies

Votes:

What's the vendor of the switches? It maybe, that some vendors are not complying the standard RMON MIBs?!

Created on Apr 9, 2015 3:32:30 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

You can use the SNMP Tester and perform a walk against the OID

This is the table for the Broadcast Packets. If this is not possible, your device will most likely not comply to the standard RMON MIBs like Lars mentioned.

Best regards

Created on Apr 10, 2015 4:12:12 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi, and thanks for the replies!

The switch is an Alcatal-Lucent OmniSwitch 6850. Meanwhile I've managed to get the ports to show up, by redoing the whole RMON configuration on the switch (removing all probes and SNMP settings and start over), so there must have been something wrong there. So an SNMP walk against the OID you provided works as well!

But I'm having another problem now. I don't really know/understand how RMON works but when I add a sensor to one of the switch ports, I get a couple columns of data (for example Packets <= 64 Byte, Packets <= 127 Byte) and all the others are 0. When I add another sensor to a different port, I get a couple of different data colums, could be Broadcast packets, could be something else, seems random. But always like 3 or 4 data values and all the others are 0. I also just get that initial reading at the time of adding the sensor, all the readings after that show 0 for all data. Any suggestions?

Created on Apr 13, 2015 7:40:13 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

RMON is a collection of OIDs, which describe certain management capabilities. Please have a look here to see which channels are created by default.

It is very likely that some of the returned values equal 0 as the results are displayed in number of items / second.

Created on Apr 13, 2015 10:59:22 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

But "Transmitted" is displayed in kByte and is 0, on all ports, all of the time. It seems a bit strange and too coincidental that the values would get pulled on an exact moment where all but a few are 0. And the little data I get is always recorded in the first initial scan, after that ALL counters stay 0.

Created on Apr 13, 2015 11:40:39 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Do you receive the same result when you use the SNMP Tester and perform a walk against the OID

Created on Apr 14, 2015 7:18:21 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.