What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNMP get-next request

Votes:

I have a question about possibiility of generating SNMP get-next request by SNMP Custom Sensor. I'm monitoring HP P2000 G3 disk arrays and there is for example "unit status" parameter, which shows status of the device. I've created SNMP custom sensor with proper OID, but I figured out, that to get the value from the device I need to ask for the next OID (get-next request, not get directly). My old monitoring tool had such possibility to make get-next request - is that possible in PRTG as well?

Best Regards Marcin

get-next request snmp

Created on Jul 30, 2015 7:41:06 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear marcink137

This is not possible with PRTG. What is the OID in question?

Created on Jul 31, 2015 1:32:51 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Jul 31, 2015 1:50:22 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you for your response.

For example the OID 1.3.6.1.3.94.1.6.1.6 is problematic. Every device requires different "suffix", which is to read only with get-next request.

Marcin

Created on Aug 3, 2015 7:44:21 AM

Votes:

Dear Marcin

I am sorry, PRTG has no sensors with this capability. As a workaround, you might want to use Net-SNMP and write a custom script, performing SNMP queries through Net-SNMP.

Created on Aug 3, 2015 2:18:16 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

OK, I understand, thank you for the response.

Best Regards Marcin

Created on Aug 3, 2015 2:37:44 PM

Votes:

in SNMP Compatibility Options in the device have a Walk Mode - Use GETNEXT requests, The option not work for this

Created on May 5, 2021 10:05:34 PM

Votes:

Hello,

not all SNMP options work on all devices.

Created on May 6, 2021 8:59:58 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.