What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

2 queries ping & UI related

Votes:

Hi,

Beginning to discover and love the flexibility of this software, just had 2 questions I can't seem to find answer to.

I'll start with the UI. I have multiple pings set up. When I click into the ping sensor, on most, the rounded rev-counter style display shows a max value of 4800ms, however on two I've just added they're showing a max value of 553 and 525 ms. The settings for each are near identical as far as I can see, though they are attached to devices in different groups. Is there a setting which controls the maximum value in that rev-counter as 4800ms makes the display a little useless for my purposes.

Second thing, I was hoping for some good practice advise. I have 2 devices I want to ping at a high frequency, say once a second. Using the multiple ping option, the maximum delay I can set is only 100ms which is a little short. So I tried setting it to a single ping at 1s intervals (which I understand isn't supported) but this leads to pings happening anywhere between once every second to once every 10 seconds. Is there a configuration option I missed somewhere where I can get PRTG to ping a device once per second, every second?

Many thanks :) Sean

gui ping-sensor prtg

Created on Aug 4, 2015 2:40:57 PM

1 Reply

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Slaverty

The gauges are automatically scaled, using the highest historic value. It is not possible to use manual scaling for a gauge. However you can filter out data spikes. This also removes the visibility of that data from graphs and reports.

PRTG does not support pinging a device once per second. 10 seconds is the smallest scanning interval we officially support, even for pings.

When we created PRTG, we decided to not build the software as a quasi-realtime traffic grapher. Internal load balancing was deemed more important than the support of very small scanning intervals.

Created on Aug 5, 2015 11:46:24 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 5, 2015 11:49:04 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.