What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to inventory these unstable pings

Votes:

Hi,

As you can see on this screenshot, my internet connexion is very unstable. Sometimes I ping the dns google (8.8.8.8) at around 5ms or 50ms or 500ms or 1000ms or also packet lost...

I don't want you to tell me "are you in wifi or in ethernet? " I am not here to find the cause. .

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/207162ping.jpg

To have an accurate graphic, I have to refresh often. Because as you can see, the ping can be good at a moment and the second atfer around 500 or even packet lost...

So my question is , "How to inventory these unstable pings" to get a very accurate graphic please ?

I have tried that (http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/542191ping2.jpg) but I need your advice

Ps : I am in ethernet and i know that the problem is not on my lan but on the WAN.

Many Thanks for your help

Best regards,

ping prtg-traffic-grapher refresh-rate

Created on Sep 3, 2015 2:31:03 PM

8 Replies

Votes:

Hi sakisay

Hmm. I don't think thats something you can achieve with prtg. It's because the smallest scan intervall is 30seconds.

What about using a tool like hrping (I am sure there are others, better ones) which is an alternate more powerfull pingtool than just ping on windows commandline)

You can let the output go to a file, import it in excel and create an statistic and graphic as well.

or http://sourceforge.net/projects/gping/ or http://www.colasoft.com/ping_tool/

cordalement Thomas

Created on Sep 3, 2015 3:49:18 PM

Votes:

...the smallest scan intervall is 30seconds.
Thats not right, you can change the smalles scan interval.
Setting ->System Administration-> Monitoring
There you can change the available intervals.

Regards
Birk Guttmann

Created on Sep 4, 2015 7:00:24 AM

Votes:

Dear Birk

You can use smaller scanning intervals. Technically the smallest interval is 1 second. However, there are some limitations:

• We don't provide technical support for intervals smaller than 10 seconds.
  • We recommend to not go below 30 seconds.

Created on Sep 4, 2015 9:22:14 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Last change on Sep 4, 2015 9:22:26 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi,

Thanks a lot for these informations. In the administrator settings, I have added the smallest interval (1s). Then I have changed the settings of the "ping sensor for 8.8.8.8".

And the result is a refresh every 5 or 6 s it's large better than the 30 s !! :)

But to be more accurate , I think I have to edit the count of the ping

I think the ping wait 4 result before to make an other and that can explain the waiting 5 seconds.

By default in cmd , when we type ping 8.8.8.8 we have 4 reply If we type ping 8.8.8.8 -n 1 we will have 1 reply.

So I think I have to find where I can modify the count

Do you know if it's possible to change that please ? I would try to force the refresh 1s because for the moment with an answer every 5s , erything is ok ( cpu / network ) , I don't overload.

Many Thanks for your help

Best regards,

Created on Sep 4, 2015 9:54:54 AM

Votes:

Dear Sakisay

The ping count of the PRTG ping sensor can be set on the settings page, Ping Method / Send multiple Ping requests

Please note that despite the technical possibility of setting the sensor scanning interval to 1 second, we don't provide support for such intervals. Sensor scans cannot be forced, PRTG puts sensor scan requests in a queue to distribute them over time.

Created on Sep 4, 2015 11:05:28 AM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi sakisay

I can only folow up prtg support. PRTG is not intended for doing what you want to do.

You overload the monitor massively and I am quite sure its not really reliable how you are going to measure the pingtimes / realiability of the Internetline. I strongly recommend to use another tool.

Regarding your question, I don't fully understand what you want. As you said you can change the pingcount with -n. If you use 1s as intervall, why not change in the sensor settings to "send single ping".

regards Thomas

regards Thomas

Created on Sep 4, 2015 11:34:16 AM

Votes:

Hi,

Finally in Method ping ==> I set "only 1 ping" Interval ==> 1s

And as you can see, it's perfect :)

http://img11.hostingpics.net/pics/591126perfect.jpg

Thanks for all your support

Created on Sep 5, 2015 10:43:18 AM

Votes:

Thanks for helping him out, Thomas! :)

Created on Sep 7, 2015 6:28:06 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.