What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

PRTG install in ESXI

Votes:

Hi all

i have a hard time in configuring the PRTG to receive a netflow packet on a virtualized server.

what will i do in esxi to let the PRTG receive the netflow packets forwarded by our router. Thanks

regards nezky

esxi prtg virtual-servers

Created on Dec 3, 2015 12:52:07 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Nezky

Can you please be a little bit more specific about your problem receiving netflow packets? Usually there is no difference if the PRTG Server is virtualised or not. I use netflow on different sites and the PRTG Server is virtualised in XEN and ESXI and never had problems receiving those packets. You don't have to configure anything special on esxi.

regards Thomas

Created on Dec 4, 2015 9:32:51 AM

Votes:

Hi Thomas

Sorry if i didn't manage to reply you immediately and this is the set-up

i created a 2 server which is basically a freeware just to monitor the netflow. the first server is configure in exsi, it is a guest os in the VM, the second server is the installed on my workstation since where just testing the said software (PRTG).

i have a success pooling of netflow data in my workstation, and just to eliminate the firewall rules i can assure that i all packet from router to netflow collector is allowed.

so my question is if same config will be use in VM then why i can't get the data?by the way im using flexible netflow in my router.

thomas can you walk me through how to install it in vm? sorry for the noobs favor that i'm asking.

Thanks in advance!

regards nezky

Created on Dec 16, 2015 1:20:14 AM

Votes:

Dear Nezki,

make sure that the router sends the Netflow data to the Virtual Machine IP on you ESX host on the correct port.

Make sure that the flow traffic is not blocked by the VMs OS firewall.

Use our free Netflow Tester in the VM to check if you can receive Netflow data in the VM in a format that PRTG can process.

https://www.paessler.com/tools/netflowtester

Created on Dec 16, 2015 12:52:20 PM by  Aurelio Lombardi [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.