What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Custom Menu Entry

Votes:

We're going to have many core systems (ten so far) worldwide with different login URLs. Is there a way for us to put in a custom menu entry that will drop down our core servers and their URLs?

custom html menu prtg

Created on May 22, 2016 4:48:50 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Mike

We don't provide support for this kind of interface customization, I am sorry. If you manage to implement it, please remember to save the files in question because they are overwritten with any PRTG software update.

We are collecting feedback regarding the Enterprise Console and recognize current limitations. One way or another, we will find a solution. At this time though, using browser bookmarks might be the best option.

As more and more PRTG admins use multiple core servers, we are exploring different ways to help with that.

Created on May 24, 2016 12:27:49 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

6 Replies

Votes:

Dear Mike

Custom menus are not supported in the PRTG interface. If you don't want to use browser bookmarks, please consider to use the Enterprise Console. However, the Enterprise Console requires all PRTG version using the same branch (currently we are in the branch 24, as the PRTG version is 16.2.24.)

Created on May 23, 2016 12:16:20 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, but we've had so many problems with the EC that we cannot recommend it for use. It always just ends up "Not Responding".

A unified interface would be nice, something along the lines of how Thruk integrates different Nagios servers.

Created on May 23, 2016 4:17:19 PM

Votes:

How about a custom popup type box at the bottom of the screen? Like "Follow & Share" & "Contact Support" tan buttons. I've been able to create a popup message using the Prtg.Growls.add but I'd like it to behave like the others and be hidden until mouseover.

Created on May 23, 2016 5:45:56 PM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Dear Mike

We don't provide support for this kind of interface customization, I am sorry. If you manage to implement it, please remember to save the files in question because they are overwritten with any PRTG software update.

We are collecting feedback regarding the Enterprise Console and recognize current limitations. One way or another, we will find a solution. At this time though, using browser bookmarks might be the best option.

As more and more PRTG admins use multiple core servers, we are exploring different ways to help with that.

Created on May 24, 2016 12:27:49 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I found out that it's in the C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\webroot\javascript\scripts_custom.js file which is ours to alter and keep I think.

$(document).ready(function() { _Prtg.Growls.add({ id: 'custommessage1', //id must be unique type: "info", time: _Prtg.Options.refreshInterval * 30, //title: 'A Message from your PRTG Admin', message: 'Core 1: <a href="http://prtg.ad.company.com">ELCS/ESS/BRS</a>' }); } );

Created on May 25, 2016 11:01:00 PM

Votes:

Hi Mike,

we actually recommend the following code:

(function($, window, document, current, servers, undefined){
  $("#main_menu").append(
    '<li><a>'+current+'</a><ul>'
      + servers.map(function(server){
        return '<li><a class="nohjax" target="_blank" href="'+server.url+'">'+server.name+'</a></li>'
      }).join('')
  +'</li></ul>'
  )
})(jQuery, window, document, 'PRTG-SERVER',[
  //copy the following line and edit URLTOPRTGSERVER plus DISPLAYINMENU to serve your needs
  {url:"URLTOPRTGSERVER", name:"DISPLAYINMENU"},
]);

The line below the commend needs to be copied/changed according to your needs. Replacing "PRTG-SERVER" will show on which exact system you are on right now. Please be aware that this comes without official warranty or support.

Created on May 26, 2016 9:34:28 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.