What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Microsoft SQL SERVER v2. Can not log in using the specified credentials!

Votes:

I have a problem with the sensor MS SQL v2. I create the sensor to test it in action on my PC to test the sensor . On the computer installed Microsoft SQL SERVER 2012 Express. When i run the sensor then I displayed the following error: Can not log in using the specified credentials! . I check all configuration options but always i have this problem with the sensor. As SQL query i use default sql file:Demo serveruptime.sql. As Instance name i used: SQLEXPRESS, because that's it true instance name. i very need your help. thanks) P.S. sorry about my English)

error-messages mssqlserver sql

Created on Jun 1, 2016 11:57:47 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Vladimir,

Please log onto the machine where the probe is installed and manually start the SQLv2.exe file in the directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System

Fill in the credentials and the query and see if it works. Please do also test an administrative database user to preclude access write issues.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 2, 2016 10:05:49 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

whats the rest of the error say? I have been having issues with the sql sensors using the context of the probe service instead of the windows creds set in the settings.

Created on Jun 1, 2016 6:04:19 PM

Votes:

Hi Vladimir,

Did you enter the credentials in the Device Settings > Credentials for Database Management Systems settings? If so, the tip to change the security context of the probe service might help.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 2, 2016 5:06:53 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Aug 1, 2016 7:30:03 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

error message is only : Can not log in using the specified credentials!

Felix, i didn't enter the credendtials in the

Device Settings -> Credentials for Database Management Systems , but now i do it and result is the same((

Created on Jun 2, 2016 7:37:36 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Vladimir,

Please log onto the machine where the probe is installed and manually start the SQLv2.exe file in the directory

C:\Program Files (x86)\PRTG Network Monitor\Sensor System

Fill in the credentials and the query and see if it works. Please do also test an administrative database user to preclude access write issues.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Jun 2, 2016 10:05:49 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

What is the resolution for this issue? I tryied to use the SQLv2.exe getting the same results. Can not log in using the specified credentials. Reviewing the SQL log, I encountered with this error: Login failed for user Domain\User. Reason: Attempting to use an NT account name with SQL Server Authentication. I used the proper fields to fill account information in the SQLv2 app My SQL version is 2016 Datacenter. My PRTG is trial version.

Created on Dec 12, 2017 3:02:24 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Did you enable the Use Kerberos setting after starting the SQLv2.exe? This will be required so that the Windows authentication gets enabled.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Dec 13, 2017 2:08:24 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Dec 13, 2017 2:08:39 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I've the same issue.

Using SQLv2.exe it works, when I activate the Use Kerberos setting. But my sensor has still the same error :

Cannot open database "SRV-xxxx\xxxxTEST" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'CxxxxS\adimxx'.(Connectionstring: Data Source=SRV-SQLTEST,1437;Initial Catalog=SRV-SQLTEST\NESTTEST;Integrated Security=True;Password=;Connect Timeout=60)

Created on Feb 7, 2020 7:02:34 AM

Votes:

Same when I try with a local SQL-Account, so OK from SQLv2.exe but the sensor says :

Cannot open database "SRV-SQLTEST\NESTTEST" requested by the login. The login failed. Login failed for user 'AdminERP'.(Connectionstring: Data Source=SRV-SQLTEST,1437;Initial Catalog=SRV-SQLTEST\NESTTEST;User ID=AdminERP;Password=;Connect Timeout=60)

Created on Feb 7, 2020 7:27:48 AM

Votes:

I understood what I did wrong.

In the GUI SQLv2,you're allowed to enter anything under the server name, so I entered it with the hostname\instancename form.

I did the same in the sensor, with errors. When I entered only the hostname, it works now !

Created on Feb 7, 2020 10:23:26 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.