What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

QOS Reflector on Windows

Votes:

I note the information in the following kb article about QOS Reflectors: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/61176-how-can-i-monitor-qos-roundtrips-without-using-remote-probes

and have the following questions:

1. In a test setup, I installed a QOS sensor on a PRTG server, and installed Python for Windows on a Windows Vista machine. I then executed the reflector script on the Vista machine - and have been receiving results. Unlike the documentation, I have the "QOS TARGET" setting on the sensor set to "PRTG Probe" (where the documentation says use "Custom Target".

This setup is successfully capturing statistics - but my question is - do these settings in combination with a Windows machine running the QOS Reflector render the results invalid ? (FYI - they APPEAR correct - but I have no way to validate).

2. In attempting to setup a QOS Two Way sensor with "QOS TARGET" set to "Custom Target" per the instructions - I received the following error message:

THERE WAS A PROBLEM...

PRTG Network Monitor has encountered a problem. Your last request could not be processed properly.

INTERNAL ERROR: '' IS NOT A VALID INTEGER VALUE

Error URL: /addsensor5.htm?errorintervalsdown_=1&id=2102&inherittriggers=1&interval_=60|60 seconds&intervalgroup=0&intervalgroup=1&name_=QoS 2&packetcount_=1000&packetinterval_=20&packetsize_=172&parenttags_=&priority_=3&qostargetmaster_=custom&sensortype=qosroundtrip&tags_=qossensor&targetid_=1|Local probe (127.0.0.1)|127.0.0.1|&targetip_=192.168.1.98&targetport_=50000&timeout_=60&

3. In the results captured (per question 1), I note that both Jitter and PDV statistics are captured, yet there is a significant difference between (for example) Jitter (Max) and Packet Delay Variation (Max). Can you explain this and provide information on the measurement method for each of these ?

Your assistance is appreciated,

Glenn.

qos qos-reflector qos-roundtrip

Created on Jun 17, 2016 12:46:53 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi,
please find my answers below.
1: Yes, the metrics are correct. There might be some differences between Linux and Windows because of the TCP Stack but this is a general thing and not limited to the QoS Reflector.
2: This is a bug unfortunately which will be fixed with one of the upcoming versions.
3: Actually Jitter and PDV are calculated differently. The Jitter is calculated according to RFC3550 and PDV is a bit more complicated as there actually two calculations, first we search each packet's following packet and do a variance analysis here. After the packets are received we do the same again and from the difference the PDV is calculated.
Best regards

Created on Jun 17, 2016 1:29:00 PM by  Konstantin Wolff [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.