What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

IP SLA sensor question

Votes:

Hello, I have a Cisco IP SLA on a router A which is monitoring the uptime of the link between itself and router B.

I am polling this IP SLA from my PRTG box at a remote location.

• If the link between my remote device (PRTG) and the Cisco IP SLA on router A goes down, then will this distort the results of the IP SLA measurements ?
  • Or does the IP SLA store it's measurements, so that when my remote PRTG connects again, it retrieves accurate data regardless of it's temporary loss of link to router A.

Thanks kindly.

cisco-ip-sla ipsla prtg

Created on Sep 22, 2016 12:44:22 AM

Last change on Sep 22, 2016 4:28:36 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello, IP SLA sensor request actual information from SLA service on router. Historical information will br discarded.

Created on Sep 22, 2016 1:47:30 PM

Last change on Sep 22, 2016 4:29:06 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello Fran,
thank you for your inquiry.

As Oleg Vorodin pointed out, the Cisco IP SLA sensor in PRTG will go down once it is unable to poll/reach the Router A.

Please note that PRTG's sensors are queried by the underlying PRTG Probe on which the sensor was placed. There's nothing stopping you from deploying a Remote probe in the same subnet as Router A, this way should the connectivity between the Remote Probe and PRTG's Core Server be lost the Remote Probe will still perform and cache the results, which will be submited to the Core Server once the connection is established again. Please note that the [amount of results that can be cached by a probe is limited.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Sep 22, 2016 4:33:54 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Sep 22, 2016 4:34:50 PM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.