What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

The latency of my ping monitor is constantly increasing.

Votes:

I am currently monitoring a service with a ping sensor but the latency is constantly increasing. After I restart server the latency stabilize. I share you the graph.

increasing latency ping

Created on Oct 25, 2016 1:19:50 AM

Last change on Oct 27, 2016 10:43:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

8 Replies

Votes:

Is this behavior normal? and how can I fix it?, I already check the network, but everyting seems OK, the odd thing is that after I RESET the computer, the Ping Latency return to normal (LOW). I have other sensors and all have the same behavior.

Regards

Created on Oct 25, 2016 10:57:07 PM

Votes:

Can you run a constant ping to see if the time does actually increase? Are all the other sensors ping sensors?

Created on Oct 27, 2016 10:44:18 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I will leave a ping for a few days, normally it take 4 days for the latency to increase to considerable time. And yes, right now all the sensors are pings, eventually we will add more types of sensors.

Created on Oct 28, 2016 3:17:01 AM

Votes:

Alright, let me know when you got the results :)

Created on Oct 28, 2016 6:56:01 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello;

I left a extended ping in CMD, with the result logged into a .txt file to diferent destinations, and the latency increased from 30 ms to 70 ms. The graph of the sensor in the PRTG represents this increasing result. Does anyone know how to fix/troubleshoot this issue?

Best Regards; AJ

Created on Oct 31, 2016 6:55:41 PM

Votes:

We're talking about an external service here, right?

Created on Oct 31, 2016 7:13:34 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Both, internal & external, I have sensors to my Default Gateway, google DNS (8.8.8.8) and a remote Router.

Regards; AJ

Created on Oct 31, 2016 10:29:47 PM

Votes:

Is your network equipment up to date in terms of firmware and device drivers?

Created on Oct 31, 2016 10:39:38 PM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.