What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Monitoring temperature from Universal IO port of APC AP9631

Votes:

I have an APC Smart-UPS X 2000 with the network management card 2 with environmental monitoring (Model Number: AP9631). I have a temperature sensor and a temperature and humidity sensor hooked up to the two ports. I would like to monitor these in prtg but when I run an auto-discovery it only lists the internal battery temperature, but not the temperatures from these two ports. I tried downloading the APC PowerNet MIB v4.1.9 and importing it using the MIB Importer tool but it didn't help when I tried re-running an auto-discovery. Any help with this would be appreciated. Thank you.

apc-ups prtg snmp

Created on Nov 18, 2016 4:51:46 AM

Last change on Nov 18, 2016 7:35:25 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello cpro,
thank you for your KB-Post.

Did you review the following thread?

Please beware that after importing the MIB you need to add an SNMP Library sensor, the auto-discovery will not deploy sensors from the oidlib.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 18, 2016 7:37:05 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hi Luciano,

With the information you provided I was able to add the SNMP library sensor to monitor the two port's temperature and the one port's humidity reading. After clicking on add sensor, I searched and selected the SNMP Library sensor, where I then selected the APC oidlib file I created from the MIB Importer tool.

It took a little while for it to prepare the sensor settings, and then a little while for my browser to respond again (my guess is there is so much information in the file that it takes firefox/prtg a while to proess all of it and display it for you, same thing when you try and search for the sensor). Once the list of all of the Library OIDs was populated, I added 'iem status probes: 1/iem status probe current temp' for the temperature from port 1, and I added 'iem status prob: 2/iem status probe current temp' for the temperature from port 2 and finally 'uio sensor status: 2/uio sensor status humidity: 1' for the humidity reading from the sensor on port 2.

It shows all of the readings as values vs temperature and humidity, but the temperature values are just in Celsius and the humidity value is in percentage. So it reports things such as 23# for the temp on port 2 which is really 23 Celsius. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction on this.

-Conor

Created on Nov 19, 2016 6:58:49 PM

Last change on Nov 21, 2016 5:59:50 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

Hello cpro,
thank you for your feedback/reply.

A couple of notes:

1. Yes, adding the SNMP Library sensors with a very large MIB (or a device which returns a lot of data when polled with the MIB) may slow down PRTG and your browser (especially when rendering the table of available monitoring data). The workaround here is to perform a Partial Selection of the MIB file within the MIB Importer before deploying the SNMP Library sensors, this way you can significantly improve the time that it takes to add the sensors.
  2. It's possible to customize the unit (#) within the Settings of the Channel in PRTG or within the MIB Importer before creating the oidlib file, this way PRTG already "knows" the unit when deploying the sensors.

Suggested next Steps

If you haven't done so already consider defining Limits within the Channel's settings, this way PRTG can alert you if the temperature goes above or below a predefined (by you) threshold. The same applies for humidity.

Related

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Nov 21, 2016 7:20:30 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Last change on Jul 26, 2021 11:41:19 AM by  Maike Guba [Paessler Support] (2,404) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.