What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Barracuda SNMP not working

Votes:

I'm attempting to monitor a Barracuda firewall however when I create a new SNMP library sensor against the Barracuda object in PRTG, the "Preparing sensor settings" progress bar shows for a couple of minutes then errors with:

"No response (check: firewalls, routing, snmp settings of device, IPs, SNMP version, community, passwords etc) (SNMP error # -2003)"

I have completed the following steps:

1. Set up access on Barracuda to allow SNMP from my PRTG host on port 161
  2. Tested connectivity from PRTG server to Barracuda using Paessler SNMP tester
  3. Imported the Barracuda SNMP MIB and converted to a .oidlib on PRTG server

I have also created a partial .oidlib with two ID's and it still fails, although I can the query device successfully using these ID's from the tester.

The firewall logs show the requests being accepted from PRTG but they timeout based on the UDP timeout on the firewall. Increasing the UDP timeout does not help so I am at a loss as to what the issue is here?

barracuda mib snmp

Created on Feb 2, 2017 3:36:20 AM

Last change on Feb 2, 2017 11:22:22 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

2 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,
thank you for your KB-Post.

First we need to confirm SNMP communication with your barracuda device. Are you able to deploy any of the standard SNMP sensors against this device in PRTG?

These sensors poll standard OID's/MIB, and should work with any device. If they fail, or if you're unable to deploy them, it means that the data is not available, which can mean that:

1. There's a mismatch with the SNMP Credentials
  2. The device doesn't support SNMP queries (Get, Getnext, etc)

You can also try using the Read Device Uptime option in the SNMP Tester, the reply must be something different than "0 seconds". If you get a valid reply in the SNMP Tester, but the uptime sensor in PRTG fails, double check the credentials/access.

Best Regards,
Luciano Lingnau [Paessler Support]

Created on Feb 2, 2017 11:26:06 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Votes:

As it turned out, one of the credentials on the firewall had a typo in it. All is working as expected now.

Thanks for your help.

Rich

Created on Feb 3, 2017 1:15:22 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.