What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor factory sensor calculation ?

Votes:

Hello, I have a traffic sensor on a Cisco interface. I want to alert myself when the percentage of output drops / total output traffic exceeds 1%.

I have defined a Sensor Factory Sensor using two of the channels from my Traffic sensor i.e. 'Errors_Out, channel ID 11' and 'Traffic_Out, channel ID 1'.

Channel Defintions

#1:Local VODAFONE_PLATINUM_WAN_PRI Traffic_(Errors_Out)
channel(11142,11)

#2:Local VODAFONE_PLATINUM_WAN_PRI Traffic_(Traffic_Out)
channel(11142,1)

Now I want to do a calculation of the values returned from the two channels above i.e. if Errors_Out / Traffic_Out exceeds 1% then change status to down. Can this be achieved ? I tried the below under the 'Status Definition' field but it did not work.

Status Definition

#1:Errors Out / Traffic Out
(channel(11142,11) / (channel(11142,1) /8 (*60))) <10

calculation sensor status

Created on Mar 1, 2017 3:53:46 AM

Last change on Mar 1, 2017 11:13:31 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

2 Replies

Votes:

You need to configure the status definition as it's own channel, omit the <10 and then work with limits :)

Created on Mar 1, 2017 11:15:15 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello, I did that. The problem is that my new status definition channel (#3) does not show up at all under the channel list.

Channel definition:
#1:Local VODAFONE_PLATINUM_WAN_PRI Traffic_(Traffic_Out)
channel(11142,-1)

#2:Local VODAFONE_PLATINUM_WAN_PRI Traffic_(Errors_Out)
channel(11142,11)

Status definition:

#3: Traffic_Out Alert
channel(11142,-1)

Created on Mar 1, 2017 8:47:25 PM

Last change on Mar 2, 2017 4:59:42 AM by  Luciano Lingnau [Paessler]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.