What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Ever going to see KVM sensors?

Votes:

So it appears someone had already asked this question, but the question in the knowledge base is from 2011, and the answer may not be relevant anymore. Considering the traction KVM has been receiving from distributions like Red Hat and Proxmox, I thought it appropriate not to re-ask the question of if there are any plans to ever make KVM sensors.

It's currently quite burdensome when running a mix of Windows and Linux server VMs and LXC containers to setup SNMP for every single one just to monitor a few key metrics. At the moment that is currently what I have done, but it's quite a waste of sensors and PRTGs resources on their host PC or VM.

kvm lxc red-hat

Created on Mar 14, 2017 3:43:08 AM

9 Replies

Votes:

Hello Mark,

I'm afraid that there are no current plans to develop special sensors for KVM virtualization. We always try to invest our developing resources in features which are beneficial for a majority of the PRTG users. I understand that it will require some afford to activate SNMP, but as KVM monitoring is only barley requested, I do not see a native sensor in the foreseeable future, sorry.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Mar 14, 2017 8:25:09 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Well I would like to add my voice to the fray. Monitoring my KVM environment is a high priority for me.

I would question whether is is that there is little demand for KVM monitoring or whether those using KVM tend to be used to "rolling their own" solutions...

I +1 the request if for nothing more than the waste of sensors and resources.

What would it take for Paessler to revisit the idea? We ourselves are in software development and it frequently surprises me how popular some of the more arcane features end up being.

The squeaky wheel gets the grease but KVM admins just get on with the job?

Created on Aug 17, 2017 8:48:23 PM

Votes:

Hello Paul,

We are always striving to get the most for our customers out of PRTG Network Monitor. As you can see, KVM is not requested by other customers yet (neither via email as well). Therefore, there are no future plans to integrate this into PRTG soonish, sorry.

Cheers, Felix

Created on Aug 17, 2017 9:19:43 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Understood Felix,

I want to have a bash at SSH Script Advanced (punn intended) to see if I can do something with virsh/libvirt.

Is there API or other documentation I can look to for the output PRTG expects to see like was done here: https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/9973-how-to-correctly-monitor-linux-real-memory-usage

Thanks

Created on Aug 21, 2017 5:11:57 PM

Votes:

Hi Paul,

Sure. Open the PRTG interface and navigate to the Setup | PRTG API | Custom Sensors page. This lists the syntax for the expected output.

Best regards, Felix

Created on Aug 23, 2017 8:10:43 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I plan to use PRTG to monitor all the virtualization we are using, which is all Proxmox based. We do use PRTG to monitor the rest of the network infrastructure, so it makes sense very much to add the Proxmox cluster too with some more information from bare pinging .

Felix, it would be great to know if the plans have changed regarding KVM sensors?

I know custom solutions are always a good workaround, but it eats a lot of time.

Many thanks, Jager

Created on Sep 21, 2018 10:38:56 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

No plans on our road map yet due to the little request, sorry. If the number of requests increases, we might consider it to get integrated it earlier.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 22, 2018 3:45:22 PM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

We have several client running Linux LVM cluster and would like to use PRTG for monitoring these clusters. Add 1 more vote to have PRTG monitor Linux LVM clusters.

We use PRTG to monitor the network and devices. Works very well.

Created on Dec 9, 2019 10:11:49 PM

Votes:

Hello John,

Currently we having nothing about that on our roadmap.

I would suggest to address this as a feature request as mentioned here.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 10, 2019 1:29:46 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.