What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

I am trying to add a WMI service monitor

Votes:

When I try to add a service monitor, It times out before I get a list of services. I have had this issue before but can't remember what the fix is. I would greatly appreciate any help out there.

services windows wmi-sensors

Created on Jan 9, 2018 7:42:27 PM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Is the device not in the same network as the PRTG server/remote probe? WMI does not work that well over long range WAN/MPLS connections. What you can do is raising the timeout with a "registry hack" that needs to be applied on the according probe system (PRTG server itself or remote probe if applicable):

1. HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Paessler\PRTG Network Monitor\Probe\
  2. Add DWORD: MetaScanTimeout
  3. Possible decimal value (in seconds): 1-2147483647
  4. Restart service "PRTG Probe" for the change to take effect.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 10, 2018 3:51:21 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

It is on the same network. When I do the service add to other servers on the network, I do get a list of services back pretty quickly. The server is a Virtual and it was moved to a different storage device but the IP address is the same. The services I am trying to monitor are running.

Thanks for you reply.... If you can think of anything else please let me know.

Thanks,

John

Created on Jan 10, 2018 6:25:03 PM

Votes:

Hi John,

Have you tried the registry hack? Can you add other WMI sensors successfully? Also run our WMI Tester on the PRTG server/remote probe that is supposed to monitor the target device. On tab "Basic" configure the device and credentials, on tab "Advanced" select option "Custom" and run this query: SELECT Started,State,Status,ProcessID FROM Win32_Service

Do you get a result? If so, how long does it take?

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Jan 11, 2018 2:20:11 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.