What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sensor for Disk space free on one VM

Votes:

Hi,

I would like to know free disk space on my VMs on an ESX but i don't find it.

Someone know which sensor can I use?

Thanks and regards.

Jérôme

diskspace sensors vmware

Created on Feb 13, 2018 11:21:35 AM

7 Replies

Votes:

For this, you will have to monitor the disks through the OS on them. We do not monitor individual disk images through VMWare.

Created on Feb 14, 2018 6:18:04 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hello Benjamin, Sorry but I saw that i can have total size of my VM and also space used, from sensor.

Can I make operation between this two fields (X-Y for example?) to have my free space disk?

Thanks for your help

Created on Feb 14, 2018 7:06:26 AM

Votes:

Can you forward me the information you're referring to here?

Created on Feb 14, 2018 10:41:21 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin,

Our problem : Calculate values from differents VMWARE vcenter OIDs via SNMP

We see with the custom sensor we can do the operation to obtain human readable values :

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_custom_sensor  Here we can divide/multiply the values which give correct output (human readable values).

BUT that’s not enough to make generic way to monitor things.

We can see with the advanced custom sensor that we can set OID = channel(value) https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/snmp_custom_advanced_sensor

Unfortunately, what we are trying to set up seems impossible actually :

- Set one value (oid) in each channel AND calculate the human readable from the raw value (multiply/divide) - Output a third value from the two ones grabbed before (result from value_OID1-value_OID2)

Working like this would permit to monitor the third value and create a generic rule.

Is there any way to do that ?

Thanks.

Jérôme

Created on Feb 15, 2018 9:14:27 AM

Votes:

You'd have to use our Sensor Factory sensor to execute these calculations.

https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/sensor_factory_sensor

You can execute formulas with this sensor using values of other channels.

Created on Feb 16, 2018 5:07:06 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi

I also want to see disk usage on ex. Drive C on my Windows server, Watch UP Gold can do this in SOAP.

Created on Oct 15, 2018 8:15:09 AM

Votes:

Packert,

Are you referring to the Disk I/O of the guest through SOAP?

If so, we do not have that capability at this time. You can do with with our Windows Logical Disk I/O or Windows Physical Disk I/O sensors if you add the guest as a device in PRTG.

Benjamin Day
Paessler Support

Created on Oct 15, 2018 9:38:13 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.