What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Copying location data across installations

Votes:

Hi PRTG.

I mirrored a core installation we have of PRTG onto a second host to even out the load however someone had made changes to the location data for a number of devices and groups putting them geographically in the right place rather than our datacentre. Instead of manually re-doing this is there any way i can copy the location info database on its own from the original core installation?

geo-maps location migration

Created on Feb 16, 2018 8:18:03 AM

3 Replies

Votes:

Hi Sam,

Only by restoring the configuration backup. It's not possible to just clone the location of devices/groups. You could also iterate over the appliances via API and PowerShell:

Get all devices http://{prtghost}/api//api/table.json?id={parentid}&content=devices&output=json&columns=objid,probe,group,device&username={prtgadmin login}&passhash={his passhash} Change object location
http://{prtghost}/api/setlonlat.htm?id={objid}&location={location name}&lonlat={longitude},{latitude}&username={prtgadmin login}&passhash={his passhash} I guess restoring the configuration file is the easier route. Review the history of the objects or ask the colleague when he changed the location and restore the configuration from the previous day. In order to avoid situations like that in the future, tell them to create a config snapshot via

Setup | System Configuration | Administrative Tools | Create Configuration Snapshot

Then you can revert to the old configuration without losing (most) further changes.

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 16, 2018 9:59:14 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Wow thanks thats a very helpful reply. I did indeed request that snapshots be taken and that change freezes were imposed but of course these were ignored :)

Created on Feb 16, 2018 10:01:09 AM

Votes:

Glad to be of help. Time to revoke administrator rights then ;)

Kind regards,
Stephan Linke, Tech Support Team

Created on Feb 16, 2018 10:10:35 AM by  Stephan Linke [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.