What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

How to Link Sensor/Device to Map

Votes:

Is there a way to neatly make reference to a Network Diagram (PNG file), when looking at a specific sensor or device?

I have tested the Map Designer and it is pretty neat. I can upload an exported Visio Diagram and let it be the Map Background. We are an MSP so we have thousands individual routers and we just need a quick and easy way for our support department to identify the Network Topology when an issue arises.

What I am trying to accomplish for example is:

1- User clicks on PING sensor which is in red alarm at the moment. 2- User wants to understand the Network Topology so they click on a convenient hyperlink right in that same page. 3- That will either bring a popup to a Map created with the Map Designer or let us simply hyperlink to a remote HTTP server hosting the PNG.

So far I can't seem to figure out how to do this from the Device/Sensor page. Having 1,000 Disparate Maps under the Main Map menu will not really be helpful. PRTG Version is 18.1.38

Thanks, Ricardo

link maps sensor

Created on Mar 28, 2018 4:49:14 PM

7 Replies

Votes:

What you're looking for is the Custom HTML Element. This is at the very bottom of the Map Elements list.

With this map element, you can insert your own Hyperlinks, images, etc... If you have the code, you can give it a shot. Most code works just fine, but there are limitations to some of the more robust things.

You can also use this for iFrame insertion, but the iFrame cannot be SSL.

Created on Mar 30, 2018 6:20:11 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin,

I believe what you are referring to are the 3 HTML Options in the MAP section. They are listed as: Option 1: Link To A Webpage With The Map That Requires Login Credentials Option 2: Link To A Webpage That Displays The Map Without A Login Option 3: Show A Map Inside Other Webpages Using An IFRAME

If I were to pick Option 1, I just need to know how and where to insert it in the actual page that shows the PING Sensor. I am not talking about a remote web page where we have full design control, I am talking about the PRTG interface.

For example, I see a red Alert on the PRTG Interface and click on it. It turns out to be a PING Sensor. I am now staring at the page with the red PING sensor and want to know the previously created PNG file that shows the specific network diagram that is part of this device.

How do I insert that MAP Hyperlink into this page so I can open it and see the MAP (which would have the PNG file in the background)? I do not see any option to add hyperlinks to the Sensor display page.

Thanks, Ricardo

Created on Apr 4, 2018 9:01:06 PM

Votes:

No, if you look at the right-hand side of the Map Editor where all the map elements are, the very bottom one is the Custom HTML Element.

Refer to this video I did on how to use this element.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpaZT0-Kh1c

Created on Apr 5, 2018 4:57:05 AM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Hi Benjamin,

I watched your video and see what you mean by Custom HTML Element but I fear I have not properly conveyed what I am asking. Yes, I can link to an external PNG file (or I can upload one via the MAP->Settings) in a MAP, but that was not the question I asked.

What I am trying to accomplish for example is:

1- User clicks on PING sensor which is in red alarm at the moment. 2- User wants to understand the Network Topology so they click on a convenient hyperlink right in that same page.

So take a look at screenshot: https://ibb.co/hXqP6c

I am hoping to be able to click somewhere within that Screen that will take me over to a previously created MAP. That will enable the person handling that issue to immediately get a grasp on the Network Topology related to that sensor.

Is that possible?

Thanks, Ricardo

Created on Apr 5, 2018 3:37:43 PM

Votes:

Sorry, no we do not have the ability to change the HTML code on the sensor page to link back to a map that it is used in.

However, I've heard this request before, and I'm going to put it in as a feature request.

Created on Apr 5, 2018 6:16:59 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Votes:

Sounds good. It would be awesome to have this feature since it would save so much time and effort when you are looking after thousands of routers. We come from a Nagios setup before and enjoyed this feature very much.

In addition to the above feature request, it would also be awesome if the referenced MAP link could be included in the alert email people get. The HTML email already has buttons for "Check Now" "Acknowledge", etc... It would be great to have another button called "MAP"...if you click on it then voila...you open a browser with the MAP. Again, this is readily available in Nagios so we are used to it.

Created on Apr 5, 2018 8:00:09 PM

Votes:

I've added the feature request.

Created on Apr 6, 2018 6:23:02 PM by  Benjamin Day [Paessler Support] (1,441) 2 1

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.