What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Autodiscovery crashes HP-Switches

Votes:

Hi, i am new to prtg so bear with me, in case this is a stupid or non rtfm question. I set up prtg from scratch and let it run. Once the autodiscovery found our HP-Procurve (i assume) switch, it started enumerating the switches ports and created Sensors.

It is a 48 Port (2510G-48) model and by the Time the Sensors where setup the switch crashed. Ok, iwas not used to see that guy go home before me so i gave him a little motivation by powercycling it. Right after the booting the switch restarted again and as he enjoyed that so much, he stayed in his bootloop. i could only conviince the switch to keep working when i stopped the Probe. That's been a couple of days ago, but today i experienced exact the same with another HP-Swicth of that Type.

T be really honest, i really like to watch the autodiscovery do my job, btw. as much as i like everyone doing so, that's why my days would become lonesome, without my autodiscoveryfriend. Any clue?

autodiscovery crash hp switch

Created on Apr 17, 2018 7:31:05 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hello,

thank you for the reply. For switches PRTG only uses Ping & SNMP to monitor them really. And both those "access" are read-only however, so should not have any negative effect on a device. We've seen cases though (Cisco for example), where a bug in a vendors SNMP engine caused device crashes, when normal SNMP requests were sent to it.
So, just to check, are the switches running the latest firmware? Are there any known issues with SNMP there?
Can you access any logs in the management interface on the switches, and so get hints which exact SNMP request causes the boot loop?
If not, it would be necessary to add the sensors manually one by one, to see which one triggers the boot loop. We could then give you the called OIDs to check up with HP, why the switch does misbehave in that way.

best regards.

Created on Apr 19, 2018 10:47:53 AM by  Torsten Lindner [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.