What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Daily backup VPN normally down 85% should not indicate DOWN

Votes:

Our backups take place in the early hours. The VPN should not show DOWN during the day when there is no traffic because there is expected to be no traffic. What settings, scanning, notification changes can I make to report a normal state during the day?

backup downtime vpn

Created on Apr 25, 2018 5:00:36 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

What exact sensor is showing a down message and what does the down message exactly say? Please forward some more details for better overview.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 25, 2018 7:20:49 PM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Are you saying the VPN times out when nothing is using it? and therefor it disconnects and PRTG alarms on this?

Then i see three solutions

1, Change the VPN to stay connected all the time. 2, Get PRTG to ping the remote side of the VPN, this should keep it alive. 3, Assign a schedule to only check this during the night (This is not great as if gives you little chance to fix the outage before it interrupts something)

Or, are you saying there is a minimum data transfer threshold, and when data rates dip, then the sensor goes DOWN. If this is the case, then remove the minimum, setup a ping, or remote probe.

Created on Apr 27, 2018 1:14:44 AM

Votes:

Please let me know HOW to have PRTG execute a ping to the remote IP of the VPN. Thank you for sending the previous information.

Created on Apr 27, 2018 3:41:36 PM

Votes:

The VPNs are built to an ASA 5555 and they all have SNMP Sensors to monitor status. I need to figure out how to configure the settings to receive meaningful feedback when the state is DOWN but I expect this intermittent activity. I like the idea of a ping from PRTG to keep the connection up. Would I set the PING from the PRTG host to the remote VPN IP? If this is YES, how do I make this happen?

Thank you.

Created on Apr 27, 2018 5:19:14 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

To ping the remote device make sure that the PRTG Server can reach an IP on the remote side, afterwards just add a new device ad add a new Ping Sensor to this device.

Best regards.

Created on Apr 30, 2018 7:07:41 AM by  Dariusz Gorka [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.