What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

core probe and remote probe

Votes:

hi Paessler team,

I got some issues for understanding the system requirement. I got about 4000 sensor need to monitor where all this sensor is allocate at two different location. The main idea is I will used 1 core probe and 2 remote probe. The core probe is staging using vmware server using license PRTG 5000 while the 2 remote probe will staging using physical server. so by using this idea the remote probe will pull data on remote site and push to core probe. this will reduce the data processing on core probe.

my question is: 1. did my method is reliable? 2. what the minimum system specification for my remote probe for my method to monitor all 4000 sensor?

coreprobe installation prtg remoteprobe

Created on Oct 16, 2018 4:41:11 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Dean,

Your approach is absolutely correct. With remote probes it is very easy to monitor other network segments as well.

However, I would like to recommend that you run the core server on physical hardware, as it benefits most from this. The remote probes have also more performance on physical hardware, but the difference is not as noticeable as with the core server.

For a guideline on sizing the machines, please follow this link.

Here you'll also find a sizing guide for Remote Probes

And here you'll find additional information about distributed monitoring with Remote Probes.

I hope this helps! :)

Andreas Günther

Tech Support, Paessler AG
[email protected]

Created on Oct 16, 2018 12:24:07 PM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.