What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Create a single map with the entire network infrastructure of 2 cores servers

Votes:

Hi Paessler Team, I have two cores, one core in Germany and another in Portugal. The core of Germany is configured with a datacenter and its network equipment and servers, and is also configured with 17 probes (network equipment and servers) that are sites (offices) scattered throughout Germany. In the core of Portugal we have also configured a datacenter and 20 probes (sites spread across Portugal, Spain and France). Now we come across a situation, we want to create a single monitoring map where it is possible to monitor the network between datacenters and sites. And when we try to create a single map it is only possible to add equipment of the core in question, it is not possible to add equipment of another core. The question I have for you, how can we create a single map with all the network equipment that is part of our infrastructure? Is it possible through of a creation the cluster? We have to create a new core with only all the network equipment in our infrastructure? Thanks

core-server maps network

Created on Nov 20, 2018 12:04:35 PM

4 Replies

Votes:

That sounds like an impressive big installation you have there...

Personally - I would probably have one cluster running for all of this stuff - one core of the cluster in either country. This way you get some real fail-over..

As for your map - with a cluster you wouldn't have those issues - but since you two independent installation - I would suggest you create one front-website that includes two iframes - left and right - left might be Germany and right might be Portugal. Then create two maps in the size of those iframes and you are all done..

Never tried it - but that might be the easiest way forward - of course - one big installation might be beneficial.. but I admit I am not certain about it - the PRTG might have more knowledge there..

Regards

Florian Rossmark

www.it-admins.com

Created on Nov 20, 2018 2:59:42 PM

Votes:

Dear Pedro,

a PRTG cluster increases the workload. It can be difficult to cluster a large setup. Running independent PRTG installations is usually the better option.

As Florian suggested, you can employ HTML technology to combine two HTTP resources in one browser window. As last resort, you could open two browsers on the screen, each showing one map.

Created on Nov 20, 2018 8:57:10 PM by  Arne Seifert [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Pedro - just to add something else to it - what I do is I cycle through maps in a single browser on various TVs in our NOC. Each of the IT room has a TV and there are maps displayed.

Cause I wanted something that looks good and gives us much control, I actually wrote a auto-cycle script in HTML/JavaScript for this. This script does nothing else then loading ANY url/link in to a iFrame in the current website.

This wouldn't be two iframes that combine the two PRTG instances you mentioned, but it would at least be able to grab a map from both instances (public map) and display it - well cycle through it.

Look here - may be that is a suitable solution for you or something you can build further on..

https://www.it-admins.com/auto-cycle-through-urls/

Regards

Florian

Created on Nov 21, 2018 2:39:19 PM

Votes:

Thank you guys for your help and suggestions.

Created on Nov 29, 2018 1:58:25 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.