What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Connection could not be established (80070005: Access is denied) (code: PE015). It appears that you

Votes:

Hi!

I have a problem with WMI connections, I have already read related articles but can`t resolve my problem. There are 4 sensors for my server: CPU Load, Memory, Free Disk Space and Ping. The Ping sensor is working correctly because it doesn`t need windows credentials, other sensors need credentials but only CPU load working properly. This is not access problem, can you help me with this problem please?

80070005 access-denied pe015 prtg wmi

Created on Dec 20, 2018 1:38:52 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hi Elmira,

The error response is coming like that from the queried host. Some WMI queries might work, but not necessarily all of them without proper access rights. Have you tried using a domain admin in "Credentials for Windows Systems" to see if it works then?

You can also test with our WMI Tester. Here you find a few queries from some of the WMI sensors to run with the tester.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 21, 2018 11:35:38 AM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks for your reply, Erhard!

I runned this test (both in Basic and Anvanced mode with custom queries) on the server which sensors is working properly and the result of test - access denied (80070005). I can`t understand why sensors work if there an access problem.

Created on Dec 21, 2018 11:55:47 AM

Last change on Dec 21, 2018 1:12:40 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Elmira,

This usually happens when you don't do it exactly the same, for example with wmi it can sometimes make a difference if using IP or hostname/fqdn when querying the target. Also it is is possible that you do in fact not use the same credentials.

Kind regards,

Erhard

Created on Dec 21, 2018 1:23:25 PM by  Erhard Mikulik [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I recently tried to upgrade from 20.1.55.1775 but had a ton of alerts from connection denied so I rolled back however I still have over 600 alerts with the same connection denied errors. I tested the WMI with the downloaded testers from PRTG and it comes back with no errors.

Is there something else I can to do fix this?

Created on Nov 9, 2020 3:20:39 PM

Votes:

Hello Joe,

Please have a look at this article which addresses the error message:
Why do I receive the sensor error message 'Connection could not be established (code: PE015)'?

According to your 600~ alerts, I assume that you have a lot of WMI based sensors in your instance, which can already be one indicator as those messages are very often related to performance issues based on too many WMI based sensors on the Probe system or PRTG instance.

Please proceed with the instructions described in this article and contact [email protected] in case of any further issues describing what you already tried from this article.

Best,
Sebastian

Created on Nov 10, 2020 10:33:44 AM by  Sebastian Kniege [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.