What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Bug in eventlog sensors

Votes:

Hi Paessler.

I've discovered that we can't type in a list of ID's in the Match Values(Event ID) list under the Filter Event Log Entries section in both the WMI and Windows API version of the Event log sensor.

When typing the first number, for instance 1002, no error text is displayed. But the moment I type a comma, I get an red error message below displaying "Please enter a value greater than or equal to 0."

I've tried typing like "1002,10002" and "1002;10002" and ",1002,10002," an so on. I can't get by the error message and therefore I can't save the settings.

I'm running PRTG version 19.2.49.2018.

Are you aware of this issue?

Regards Michael Jakobsen

bug eventlog prtg

Created on May 27, 2019 7:14:05 AM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Michael,

We already created a fix for that. This fix to allow a comma-separated list of event IDs will be part of PRTG version 19.x.52.x.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jun 5, 2019 7:55:12 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 9, 2019 7:13:33 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

9 Replies

Votes:

Hi Michael,

The sensors only support filtering for one ID. If you want to filter for more IDs, you'd need to create multiple sensors. Where exactly did you read that it can filter for more IDs so that we can adjust this? Or was it just an assumption?

Kind regards,

Created on May 27, 2019 10:38:41 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Oh I'm sorry, it's only the Windows API Event log sensors which has the problem - you are absolutely right, the WMI eventlog sensor actually has the limit of only one event ID.

The Windows API event log manuel states that it is possible to enter more than one ID. https://www.paessler.com/manuals/prtg/event_log_windows_api_sensor

Created on May 27, 2019 11:03:28 AM

Votes:

Have you guys had a look at the Windows API log sensor, where multiple ID's can't be entered?

Created on Jun 4, 2019 11:13:31 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hi Michael,

We already created a fix for that. This fix to allow a comma-separated list of event IDs will be part of PRTG version 19.x.52.x.

Kind regards,

Created on Jun 5, 2019 7:55:12 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Last change on Oct 9, 2019 7:13:33 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Okay great :)

Created on Jun 5, 2019 8:18:16 AM

Votes:

It's still broken even after upgrading to 19.3.51.2830+. Release notes say it's fixed, but it is still broken.

Created on Sep 18, 2019 6:06:44 PM

Votes:

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your message - I'm sorry to hear that.

With the current version I'm afraid it is not possible to filter for more than two event IDs, is that maybe the case?

Please also try adding the sensor anew and see if that helps.

Kind regards,
Andreas Günther
Tech Support, Paessler AG

[email protected]

Created on Sep 19, 2019 8:35:14 AM by  Andreas Günther [Paessler Support]

Votes:

this is frustrating, I need an eventlog sensor that allows for multiple eventID sensors.

Not just one, if that is the case our backup monitoring alone would require nearly 200 sensors to cover all possible combinations.

Created on Sep 23, 2019 8:48:44 AM

Votes:

Hi there,

I'm afraid that the fix will be slightly delayed. It will be part of version 19.x.52, please excuse the inconveniences caused by this.

Kind regards,

Created on Sep 23, 2019 9:02:11 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.