What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Is it possible to hide Group tree

Votes:

Lets say I have a customer with read-only rights, and that customer only needs to see one device or sensor. Imagine that, this device/sensor is somewhere in my group trees 4th sub-level, like Probe->Administration->Servers->Clients->ClientA. Now when I give my customer reading rights to that device/sensor, he sees the whole way to there. He can't see other devices and sensors in those sub-levels, but the long tree sub-level steps are visible. Main problem would be that, at some point there could be information only for inside use, so it would be nice if users who have access only to a specific devices/sensors and not the whole tree, that only those devices/sensors would be visible and not the whole tree.

prtg tree treemap

Created on Aug 20, 2019 10:09:30 AM

6 Replies

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, this is not possible in the device tree. As workaround, you could create a library and give the corresponding user group permissions to open this library.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Aug 20, 2019 11:55:01 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thanks, libraries are kind of good workaround. It's all pretty until customer opens one of the sensors and again whole path is visible in the top pane

Created on Aug 20, 2019 12:31:59 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

If the corresponding user has no access to this sensor, he won't be able to see it in the device tree, but only in the library.

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 20, 2019 12:49:40 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I don't know maybe I'm doing something wrong but: 1. I created new library 2. I added some sensors in it 3. I gave access to my TEST_GROUP to that library

TEST_GROUP doesn't have access anywhere else in the whole PRTG except that library. With situation written above user (read-only) in TEST_GROUP can see the library but no sensors are visible there.

To make those sensors visible I need to go tho each sensor and set it's access rights for TEST_GROUP to read. Then in library those sensors become visible. And with this user can open the sensor, thus seeing the path.

Created on Aug 20, 2019 1:00:05 PM

Votes:

Hi there,

Unfortunately, this does not work correctly for the device tree. Please use the filter option for the node in the library. That way it should work fine.

Please let me know if that works fine.

Kind regards,

Created on Aug 27, 2019 2:10:54 PM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Thank you, your mentioned filter option does what I need. I somehow didn't interpret it right, when I stumbled on it at first.

Created on Aug 28, 2019 5:51:19 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.