What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Advice monitoing lenovo hardware

Votes:

Hello

I'm trying to get our Lenovo servers (thinkSystem and SystemX) into PRTG so i can be aware of hardware problems, and i'm not really getting anywhere - so need advice.

At present the servers feed into a XClarity IPMI management tool which works fine but does not integrate to our single pain of glass approach.

The Current implementation of PRTG's IPMI sensor however seems somewhat lacking. I've managed to add a test server in by adding -F lan2 to the USER field in the IPMI sensor, but it only returns 4 sets of hardware: FAN, TEMP, PSU and VOLTAGE. Nothing that would indicate CPU, DISK or MEMORY problems.

Next we get to the SOAP connector. It seems to have problems on Lenovo machines. we had a memory failure which it picked up a monto ago, but has been red ever since. XClarity doesn't show any problems, but this SOAP sensor insists that the memory is broke, making monitoring quite difficult.

Does anyone have advice about improving the monitoring of these servers, or making ti all behave ?

thanks Martin

ipmi lenovo soap

Created on Oct 14, 2019 9:37:26 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

If you need additional information to the returned IPMI Sensors, you can try to use SNMP here (if available for those devices). Therefore, I would recommend to ask for the MIB files and implement those with our MIB Importer.

Like you already mentioned, you can also use our SOAP Sensors here. Please note, that those results are directly returned by VM Ware via the SOAP protocol. It may happen that some results are cached there and so still returned. You could ask the vendor where to delete those, since they are usually stored in different locations.

Feel free to open a support case if there are more detailed questions about this.

Kind regards,
Birk Guttmann, Tech Support Team

Created on Oct 15, 2019 8:59:16 AM by  Birk Guttmann [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.