What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sharepoint WMI sensor up and down

Votes:

Hi, we have a Sharepoint WMI sensor on our Sharepoint 2019 server but it goes down every midnight and comes back up 8am every day. All the app pool sensors and IIS site sensors are running fine with 99% uptime.

I've read through the documentation for the Sharepoint WMI sensor but it doesn't say what actual processes on the server it looks at. We have a test server set up as well with the same setup running and it's 99% uptime. So it may just be the set up on the production server.

Any thoughts on things to look at to troubleshoot why it's going up and down every night?

prtg sharepoint wmi

Created on Mar 31, 2020 4:10:51 PM

5 Replies

Votes:

Hello there,

Thank you for your post.

This seems like there is a maintenance window on that server. What error do you get when the sensor goes down?

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Apr 1, 2020 10:27:51 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hi Sasa,

I get this from the WMI sensior

Last Message: The Windows process you want to monitor cannot be found. To resolve this issue, check if you correctly specified the process name in the sensor settings. Also check if the process is running on the target machine. (code: PE009)

Will the maintenance window disable WMI? Is there somewhere I can check to see what the window is? Is it possible to have a maintenance window while keeping WMI running?

Created on Apr 1, 2020 3:25:21 PM

Votes:

Hello,

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I did not mean that the WMI stops working but perhaps the monitored process does not run over night, which is why the sensor would report the error during these times.

Created on Apr 2, 2020 6:30:21 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

How do I find out which process exactly it's monitoring? This is working great on our test server with the same setup.

Created on Apr 2, 2020 6:38:02 PM

Votes:

You can check what process the sensor monitors in its "Settings" tab under "SharePoint Process".

Created on Apr 3, 2020 12:22:10 PM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.