What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Get probe IP or Hostname in Script

Votes:

Hello,

I currently have one problem with a powershell-script. I want to use the same script for different servers and probes, which is no problem in itself. My problem comes in, when I wanna run the powershell-script on the probe or on other servers. The script uses Get-WmiObject and I use credentials that are provided from PRTG, which works in itself, but I can't use "-Credentials" on the same server.

My idea is to compare the probe-IP to the device-IP. The IP of the device will be given by %host, but I can't find an option to provide the probe-IP for the script.

Can anyone help here?

With kind regards, Martin

custom-sensor parameters probe

Created on Jul 7, 2020 2:13:39 PM

Best Answer

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for the answer.

Quick information:

%probe will not work as the name of the probe is not the same as the hostname. %probe is in my understanding the internal name of the probe in PRTG.

I will close this post. The script was implemented so we could see changes in the capacity of a harddrive. (WMI did not show this) But I saw the problem yesterday and couldnt find the answer. Today I realised SNMP does provide this information. So I will change the whole harddrive monitoring to SNMP and this should work.

Created on Jul 8, 2020 9:19:38 AM

2 Replies

Votes:

does "%probe" work? what have you tried? also, to better understand your issue - could you share the script?

Created on Jul 8, 2020 4:52:32 AM

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Thanks for the answer.

Quick information:

%probe will not work as the name of the probe is not the same as the hostname. %probe is in my understanding the internal name of the probe in PRTG.

I will close this post. The script was implemented so we could see changes in the capacity of a harddrive. (WMI did not show this) But I saw the problem yesterday and couldnt find the answer. Today I realised SNMP does provide this information. So I will change the whole harddrive monitoring to SNMP and this should work.

Created on Jul 8, 2020 9:19:38 AM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.