What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Sophos XG Firewall - Cannot monitor with PRTG Template (or at all)

Votes:

Hey All

Having trouble with this. Was following this article to monitor our firewall, but I am unable to do so. https://kb.paessler.com/en/topic/73179-how-can-i-monitor-sophos-utm-devices-with-prtg

Our firewall management/LAN is accessed by IP + Custom Port. When trying to use SNMP Traffic sensor and just straight IP, no port , I get the error:

----- Could not create the SNMP Traffic sensor on device Sophos Firewall (IPHERE).

The sensor does not get a response from the device you want to monitor. The reason might be that the SNMP credentials are wrong or that the device does not support the required uptime OID (1.3.6.1.2.1.1.3.0) for traffic sensors. To resolve this issue, check the SNMP access rights of the device or contact the device vendor. (code: PE244) -----

When using IP AND custom port, I get:

Could not create the SNMP Traffic sensor on device Sophos Firewall (IPHERE:PORT). Socket Error # 11001 Host not found.

What gives? I've enabled SNMP on my firewall V2C as well as on the LAN port, I've allowed access from my PRTG server, etc.

Anyone have some advice?

Thanks!

snmptrafficsensor sophos-xg template

Created on Jul 7, 2020 8:05:25 PM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi there,

This mixes up different issues. Host not found is an indicator that the DNS name cannot be resolved, while the other meessage indicates that the credentials / port is not accurately configured in PRTG. You can use the SNMP Tester to verify that the connection works correctly.

Kind regards,
Felix Saure, Tech Support Team

Created on Jul 8, 2020 5:49:23 AM by  Felix Saure [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.