What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

SNTP time difference - resolution finer than whole seconds?

Votes:

Is there a way to set the SNTP sensor to report time difference in units finer that whole seconds?

For testing purposes I'm deliberately letting the system clock on my PRTG server drift, and tracking the difference with the SNTP sensors (two of them) pointed at separate, reliable time sources. The sensor polls every 60 seconds and has been stepping in whole-second increments.

I've edited the 'Difference' channel to display to three decimal places, but that's not reflected in the output as I went from 0.000 to 1.000 to 2.000 in one second steps.

My intent is to use the data from the sensor to be able to track/prove that the time sync process on the server is indeed working correctly. The sync interval in normal use is probably frequent enough that the system clock wouldn't be out by more than 500 milliseconds, however this means that the SNTP sensor reports a flat line difference of 0.000. This is neither accurate nor credible if I tried to present the data as proof of correct system time.

PRTG running on a Windows 10 machine. The computer's primary function is another task where time is important, so having independent tracking of the system clock is also important.

Thanks,

Bill

ntp sntp time

Created on Jul 21, 2020 1:00:30 AM

1 Reply

Votes:

Hi Bill,

I checked the Sensor and there is no option to receive more detailed information from this channel. As an alternative, I can only recommend to write a script which does the same only with more detailed information.

Created on Jul 21, 2020 10:32:07 AM by  Moritz Heller [Paessler Support]

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.