What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Dependency to the PING-sensor of a device

Votes:

I manually created a PING-Sensor for one of my devices. If I try to create a dependency from the same device to this new PING-sensor, I am not even able to see my device in the device tree. Is it possible to create a dependency from a device to its own PING-sensor? I don't want to use Auto-Discovery, because it will create a mass of useless sensors, that I have deleted before.

dependency device-tree ping ping-sensor prtg sensor

Created on Aug 25, 2020 6:34:48 AM

2 Replies

Accepted Answer

Votes:

Hello Sam,

You can define the Ping sensor as master for the same device. For this navigate in tab Settings in the sensor and select in point Schedules, Dependencies, and Maintenance Window the option Master sensor for parent.

For more detailed information about dependencies, please take a look here.

Kind regards

Felix Wiesneth - Team Tech Support

Created on Aug 25, 2020 11:38:06 AM by  Felix Wiesneth [Paessler Support]

Votes:

Hello Felix,

thank you so much for the reply. It solved my problem.

Created on Aug 25, 2020 12:25:41 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.