What is this?

This knowledgebase contains questions and answers about PRTG Network Monitor and network monitoring in general.

Learn more

PRTG Network Monitor

Intuitive to Use. Easy to manage.
More than 500,000 users rely on Paessler PRTG every day. Find out how you can reduce cost, increase QoS and ease planning, as well.

Free Download

Top Tags

View all Tags

Update Geo Location on Map upon device discovery

Votes:

When devices are discovered, GPS coordinates or physical addresses can be pulled in via SNMP. However, the Geo Map isn't automatically updated with that informatoin as the device is discovered. You have to go into each devices settings, modify the location (even if you just add a space at the end of the existing data in the field), and save it before the Geo Map is updated. Anyone who wants to show their devices on a Geo Map will have to manually do this every time a new device is discovered. It would save a lot of time if the Geo Map would automatically be updated using the data in the location field as the device is discovered.

auto-discovery geo-maps location maps

Created on Sep 23, 2020 12:59:08 PM

Last change on Sep 24, 2020 5:14:11 AM by  Marijan Horsky [Paessler Support]

3 Replies

Votes:

Hello,

Thank you for your post.

Perhaps the script from the following article can help update the entered Geo Location in the devices.

Kind regards,
Sasa Ignjatovic, Tech Support Team

Created on Sep 24, 2020 10:21:01 AM by  Sasa Ignjatovic [Paessler Support]

Votes:

I gave it a try. The issue I have with that the location data isn't being updated properly by the table.json API. The auto-discovery pulls the GPS coordinates into the location field in PRTG properly through SNMP, but the table.json API call never updates unless I go into the location field, manually make a change, and save it. At that point, the table.json data gets updated. It is almost like the API call isn't actually querying that location field, but is pulling that data from somewhere else in the database instead, and that data doesn't get updated until the end user manually changes it on the web site.

Created on Sep 24, 2020 6:00:44 PM

Votes:

I actually have it working now. Thanks for pointing me to the script. That set me in the right direction to pull this off.

Created on Sep 25, 2020 7:35:09 PM

Disclaimer: The information in the Paessler Knowledge Base comes without warranty of any kind. Use at your own risk. Before applying any instructions please exercise proper system administrator housekeeping. You must make sure that a proper backup of all your data is available.